I had forgotten what being Spurred felt like...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cats Critters, May 16, 2011.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I got my reminder today, not from one of my five roosters, but from my grandmother's rooster Ben. Ben is a Buff Orpington, who has been attacking my great aunt who also helps with the chickens, but has never attacked me before. I have a few bruises and scabs, I'm fine but Ben will not be, this was the final straw and he will be butchered in the next couple weeks. I'm kind of glad, but he is a pretty rooster.But I am glad he is going, I really didn't need the reminder of what it being spurred felt like.

2. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. What exactly does a rooster do when it attacks? The spurs are on the back of the legs, so do they just fly and swing their legs all around, hoping to land a hit? Do they also bite? Sounds pretty scary...[​IMG]

3. Cats Critters

Basically they jump up and hit with their legs and spurs, I've never had one try to bit. A good warning sign that they are going to go after you (or another rooster) they lean down and puff up their hackles (feathers around their neck).

4. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Once your attacked once you never walk by them the same. your always looking behind.[​IMG]

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    What I hate is when they sneak up and you are not expecting anything, then, FLOG!!! The worst attack I had was when I bent over to fill a waterer and this Polish rooster kicked me in the face. Enough already! Now I have a new roo and he is a sweetie. Too many nice ones to keep a nasty one.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  6. Cats Critters

Quote:I agree both of my roosters who spurred me got butchered, I am rather glad she has realized this with Ben.

7. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Wow, I am really surprised that he was a BO... This is the first time I have heard of a BO attacking a person, which is exactly why I keep them as my only roosters.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Youch.

9. Cats Critters

Quote:That had been my thought I had always heard of them as being nice roosters, but I guess Ben was just an oddball.

10. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:Yea, they bite. I have a scar on the side of my hand from a mean rooster named Beck. He flew at me, latched on and wouldn't let go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by