1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I had my first chick-tastrophe.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheri, May 15, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    My daughter was moving the chicks to near the front door so they could see some sunlight. What she didn't know was that the watering dish fell over on one of my babies! [​IMG] She drowned. It was one of my anconas. So sufficed to say we take the dish out now when moving it.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awww... I am so sorry! Hubby did something very Similar, when Our birds arrived at the post office, for some odd reason he decided to put water in with them as he was driving them home, and one drowned!! [​IMG]

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Accidents are always a tough learning curve -and they happen to the best of us. I'm so sorry you lost a chick!

4. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    We lost another. We saw that one had a broken wing and then this morning she was gone too. It was the ancona's. They are much smaller than the RIR so maybe they are more delicate?

5. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    Don't feel bad!! I did one worse than your daughter. Just got the chicks & smashed it flatter than a pancake under the waterer. Live & learn. Too bad the chicks die form our learnings!!

6. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    When they bunch together in a pile is it because they are cold? I can't see how this room is so hot!

7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Yes. The room may have a draft even though it is warm.
    Do you have a heat lamp set up over them and a thermometer?

ps, I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I had a similar experience: one morning I woke to check on the chicks and they had knocked over their waterer. It landed on one of them and had killed it.
    It happens, but still it is hard to loose them. Hang in there!

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  8. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Yes to the lamp no to the thermometer. The other 7 did just fine this way.

9. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    the thermometer isn't neccassary, just handy how do you change the temperature of the lamp

10. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    It gets pretty warm. They like it. The chick today we think got hurt when the other chick died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by