I had my first heart attack at 37 (figuratively)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Crystalchic, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    My 16 and a half year old daughter got her drivers license today
    she went to the store with my 11 year old daughter
    and was gone for over an hour
    the store is 10 mins from our house
    talk about freaking out
    How do I do this driving thing
    I am petrified

**edited title**

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cell Phones

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Ok she is not supposed to be in a car alone without someone over 18 with her...... It's the law honey.

4. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    debi she passed her driving test today on her third try
    she can only have a family member
    a nd in ca cell phone usage while driving is illegal

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    What debi is saying is in CA a minor can not have another minor in the car, even if one has a liscense, I think the age is 18 on that one, so untill older daughter is 18 she can't give younger daughter rides.

They passed that my last year of high school, and parents were ticked, now they had to carpool us to school, instead of just buying thier kids a car.

Either way the passenger can use a phone just not the driver (which I do alot, Mr Saddi's phone lights up and I play secretary while he drives).

6. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    they can drive only if the other child is a sibling

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hope she doesn't get caught.
    I am surprised your lawyer husband doesn't know this.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/teenweb/dl_btn2/dl.htm

Provisional driver license restrictions during the first year

After you pass your driving test, you will be issued a provisional driver license. With your provisional driver license, you must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or by a licensed or certified driving instructor when you:

•Transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months.
    •Drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months.
    This means you cannot give anyone under 20 years old (your friends, your brother(s), sister(s), cousin(s), etc.) a ride unless you have a licensed parent, a guardian or other adult 25 years old or older in the car with you. You are also not allowed to drive between 11 pm and 5 am during your first year after getting your license unless you have a licensed parent, a guardian or other adult 25 years old or older in the car with you.

There are exceptions for work, etc, but going to the store doesn't fall under that.​

8. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    im agreeing with you now that i see that and bob said that she can drive
    either way i am to nervous to allow both of them to drive together
    jamie would never do anything to break the law
    and she took a drivers ed course
    she said that her instructor told her that she could drive only with a sibling
    bob has never been wrong when it comes to the law
    he loves the appellate courts
    if he is wrong now
    especially over this i will not be happy
    debi lives in ca
    i am totally new to this driving thing with my children
    i do what he says
    but it looks like your rite

9. CrystalsRoo

CrystalsRoo New Egg

May 3, 2009
    While I actually did go to law school, I learned so much while at James Buchanan High in Brooklyn, New York. There was a kid there that was able to manipulate any troubling situation simply by bringing a note from his mother. Some of you may remember him as Epstein. But it was Epstein's mother who always provided the note.

Section 12814.6(b)(2)(D) states:

Except as provided in Section 12814.7, the provisional driver'
    s license shall be subject to all of the following restrictions:
    (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), during the first 12 months after issuance of a provisional license the licensee may not do any of the following unless accompanied and supervised by a licensed driver who is the licensee's parent or guardian, a licensed driver who is 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor:

(D) Necessity of the licensee or the licensee's immediate family member when reasonable transportation facilities are inadequate and operation of a vehicle by a minor is necessary to transport the licensee or the licensee's immediate family member. The licensee shall keep in his or her possession a signed statement from a parent or legal guardian verifying the reason and containing a probable date that the necessity will have ceased.

Now, our legislature, in its infinite wisdom never defined the term "necessity", which can usually be very broadly defined. Now while Epstein's Mother's note would probably work, it might take a lawyer (such as me) to help a judge actually understand the word "necessity". That would take us all the way back to middle english and I'm not sure we really want to go there.

10. Crystalchic

May 6, 2008
    dont hold me accountable for bobs actions
    i have a hard enough time being accountable of my own

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by