I had no idea...

I'll try and get some pics today. I have to set one more board in the floor and its done. then a finish sanding to prevent sharp edges. then on to walls and ventilation. as is the foot print is 8' x 6' and it has a shingle roof I salvaged from a play set. try doing that in tact lol. I moved 20 miles to my place last year.
I initially built a deer blind out of it on skids. used all the salvaged wood I could from the play set.
green1.jpg

It sat since last year and I didn't do anything with it. it looks more like this now
deer-blind2.jpg

except for the cool new slat floor and the lack of walls its getting closer

duck-hut-floor.jpg

here's the new floor. as you can see its many tiny pieces. I used as much scraps and salvage wood as I could.

I opened up the specs from the traditional duck hut flooring as I intend to use this for geese. the slats are 1" to 1 1/16" average. and the spacing is 5/8" so the larger feces falls through easier. everything is cut on a 15* angle to maximize lumber use and make the least amount of work.

duck-hut-finish-1.jpg

duck-hut-finish-4.jpg

duck-hut-finish-3.jpg

sorry the pics are bit grainy and dark but its like 9:00pm here. the geese didn't want to go in. they fought to the end. the fence you see was how we corralled the birds to get them in.
if you look at the bottom where the geese are standing its stained but not cluttered with poo. we'll see what the morning brings.

Just an up date. the new coop is working wonderfully. I am down to about 5 minutes hose time cleaning it about every three days. plus I picked a low spot in the yard to slide the coop over. in the spring I expect that it will be full. I will slide back and turn under for a good batch of compost. almost forgot, the coop is now in a 150 x 100 pen. the ducks are in their own hut too.

Back
Top Bottom