I had to buy eggs! And I own 3 chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Le Mitzer, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    So we were lucky when we got our first two chickens we were getting two eggs a day almost everyday, they were working overtime for us. But when we introduced our newest girl, they stopped laying. I gather this is normal behavour, but things are claming down with the stress of the pecking order. But still no eggs. How long till they start to lay again. And does it have any thing to do with, that the new chicken is sleeping in the nesting box. Would this deter the other two from laying there?

2. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
  3. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    I'm sure they are not egg eater, there are no cracked shells and I check a couple times a day. And as for other nest the thought crossed my mind so I search for one but no avail. So I'm with you I'm thinking it is stress related. And as for te Sussex (the new girl) she hasn't started laying yet because she is still young 4 months. But it should be soon, no? And is there anything I can do to calm them down. I.e. Classic music, meditation, herbal tea, bubble bath?

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Bach's Rescue Remedy might help. I have never used it on chickens, but had a feral foster cat I used it on! I dont know how you would administer it to a chicken though. Maybe in the drinking water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by