1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I had to cull a baby this morning and (Graphic Description )

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Becky_H, May 3, 2009.

1. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my little ones (2-3 weeks old) was flopping over on one side this morning, couldn't eat and drink, etc. So, rather than waiting and seeing and probably watching it die slowly (and risk something spreading to the others) I culled it out.

This is usually not a big deal. I don't like it -- at all -- but I can do it. The problem is apparently I've never culled such a little chicken before, because rather than breaking its neck I *pulled its head off*.

I am so darn grossed out. The chicken hit the floor (in two spots) and I hit my knees in front of a toilet. It's not the headless chicken dance that bothered me, it was the feel of the skin ripping.

...Blergh.

I'm sorry -- I don't mean to be morbid or whatever, but I had to get that out of my system SOMEWHERE, adn you guys are the only ones I can think of that would even begin to be able to tolerate it.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to owning chickens...

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know that skin ripping feeling, it makes me shudder.

At least it was over quick for the chick. [​IMG]

4. Becky_H

Quote:Oh yeah. That chick *really* definitely did not suffer at ALL.

5. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    [​IMG]
    Is their a class I can take to do this ?
    Do you just wait until its time ? I hear people
    do this to their roo's when they have to many,
    is that true?

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:..as the day is long.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. Becky_H

I wish there was a class you could take. It'd probably save me ripping the heads all the way off. >.<

Yes, people cull roosters when they have too many.

There's a good post about it over int he sticky sections of the meatbird forums. Basically, though, for my method you hold the head in one hand and feet in the other and pull. Or, for larger birds, one person with the feet and the other pulls the head downward until the neck snaps. Takes about a second and it's all over but hte flapping.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I'm sorry... I'm with you on that... I don't like it one bit, but it's necessary sometimes. I did one yesterday, and will likely have another today. Late hatch, legs really screwed up, can't walk. [​IMG] But I can't pop the head off. There's really no good way to do it, but the easiest one on me, and I think the chick, is to gas it. I have a Gladware bowl that I put a small yogurt container in with a folded up papertowel. I soak the papertowel with starter fluid (ether), then place the chick in the bigger bowl and seal it. It always hurts me to do it, and I wait as long as possible, but sometimes you just have to do it. It doesn't take long, thankfully.

9. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The good news is that decapitation doesn't bother any affected party but you. The chicken doesn't care, it's already over for it.

[​IMG]

10. Becky_H

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I can't pop the head off. lly.

I think next go around I'll be trying the start fluid/ether thing. I'm perfectly fine breaking necks on adult birds but I REALLY did NOT mean to tear the head off that chick. I'm glad it didn't suffer and all, but I won't be doing it again. Ever.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by