I had to cull my baby chick. I am still shuddering.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigshoes213, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I just had to cull on of my baby chicks. It was either a New hampshire red or buff orphington. I walked into the shed where the brooder is and her area above her vent was swollen and bleeding from where the other chicks pecked at her. I just checked on them a couple hours ago and all seemed well. I put her in a separate box while i ran inside and read online to see if anyone else had similar problems. She was already very lifeless and could not stand on her own.

I thought it might be prolapse and I brought her inside to clean her up. However upon closer look. it was right above her tail feathers. there was a protusion sticking out (bone? sac? i am not sure) It looked almost as if the other chicks pecked until they broke skin and exposed her insides in just a small area.

Anyway She would not drink and eventually would not open her eyes or hold her head up so instead of letting her suffer and wait to see if i could force her to drink and eat. I decided to cull her. However I am not sure I could ever wring another's neck again. I am not sure if i even did it right. afterwards her little neck was just spasming.

Is there a better way? I hope I never have to do it again but I want to be better prepared next time.

Thanks.
    Christina

1 person likes this.
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Go to Wal Mart or similar store and get a can of engine starting fluid from the automotive section. It's primarily composed of ether which used to be used as an anesthetic way back when. Put a piece of paper toweling in the bottom of a butter tub or some such then put the chick in. Give it a good spray of the starter fluid then seal on the lid. It will soon go to sleep then die painlessly. In about ten minutes you can dispose of the chick.

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    [​IMG] so sorry

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry. [​IMG] At least it isn't suffering anymore. I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. I've never had to do that myself. I am curious to see other ideas though, just in case.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yes, I'm so sorry too. [​IMG] I think what A. T. Hagan said, is a good idea. I never knew this. If I should happen to be in your position, I will certainly do this. thanks for the advice.

6. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Very sorry, the first one is always really hard. Culling a doomed animal is at least a little easier than having to cull one that you just cannot re-home and have no room for.

I'm going to have to get rid of 10 or so young pullets, just no room at the inn... [​IMG]

7. bigshoes213

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I have never heard that. Thanks for the suggestion A.T. Hagan.

It was just so sad watching her suffer. i talked to my brother who hunts ducks and he said that they will spasm even though they have died. so that does make me feel better that i didnt add to her suffering. She was a week old today.

i was briefly thinking about raising meat chickens next year but I do not think i will be able to do it.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. This website has been a tremendous help. I have been a lurker for a little while now.

Christina.

8. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Sorry for the loss, but you did the right thing to end her suffering. I have heard that you could put them in the freezer. Her body would shut down, and I think this would be more humane than starter fluid.

9. bigshoes213

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    I will probably do the same thing i did this afternoon however it just seems so wrong. It seems to be the quickest less traumatic for the chicken in any case. I dont think i would be able to stand knowing i had to wait 10 - 15 minutes for her to die when I could do it in 5 seconds when I think back on it. It just is not something i want to repeat though.

I am guessing one of her feathers had blood in the end of it and they picked her to death. Has anyone else had this happen?

10. riverhomela

riverhomela Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    Mississippi
    Quote:How sad, I have never had to do anything like that, hope I won't. I think I would be as upset as you. God bless you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by