I had to cull two older hens today and I am heart sick :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JLS, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    As I stated in the title of this post I had to cull 2 hens today due to a chronic illness. It went as well as this kind of thing can go. I felt like a trader though! They trusted me completely and I was the one who took thier life.

How long will it take for this heaviness in my heart to subside and the lump in my throat to go away? I know that this was nessesary but it still hurts. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    just know that you did what was best for them, especially if they were suffering. I would want someone to end my life if I was suffering!

3. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for your support.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    It will hurt for awhile, but it was an unselfish act of kindness. No animal should suffer and I am certain you did the right thing to end their painful existence.
    I'm sorry.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to do that about a month ago. The girl was the only offspring of my favorite rooster and my favorite hen, and she was just the best girl. She also had a chronic illness. By the time I found her, she was almost lifeless. It's so hard to do what we have to do. [​IMG]

Don't be too sick over it. You just wanted them to live as long as they could and to have the best quality of life. That's the mark of a true loving owner, not a traitor. At least that's what I've been telling myself lately.

6. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you. I am so glad that I have a place to go where I can cry over my feathered babies and people understand [​IMG]

7. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] Here's a big hug from me to you! It is hard to do the right thing at times. I am sorry for your loss.

8. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    I have never had a problem "taking a chicken to the cone", but I always have trouble when it is due to illness. It feels like a wasted life.... I love my animals and its always hard to lose one for bi good reason.

Just do as I do and remind yourself that they had a great life while they were with you and it is quite obvious you cared for them. Not much more could be asked of you.

Keep your chin up!

9. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ((hugs)) it comes with chicken territory I am learning this myself.....feel better

10. JLS

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thank you for the kind words of sympathy. I just keep replaying it in my mind. When I see someone else do it it is sad but doing it is completely different. I keep remembering how it felt while I actually took their lives. It's hard for me to let go. When I least expect it I start to see it in my mind again.

I do believe that time will ease the pain. Thanks again for listening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by