I had to do it though I hated it.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenshagg, Jan 17, 2010.

1. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I had a mean Rooster that I had to cull. I hated to do it but I could no longer keep him around. I tried to reform him and let him know that I am the alpha roo but he would just come back attacking me. I could handle him though he bothered me but he did not scare me. He also has started crowing all hours of the night and I live in a residential area where I am not even supposed to have chickens. The final straw came yesterday while the chickens were out free ranging in the front yard. A Girl Scout was walking down the street selling cookies. She was on the other side of the street when the rooster took off after her trying to attack her. My 14 year old son saw it happening and ran outside in his socks and chased the roo back into the yard. I have been trying to reform this rooster for awhile now but that was it for me and him. I am worried that he would have hurt someone or even worse a child. I could not rehome him, who wants a mean rooster that crows all night?

I did not sleep at all last night knowing that I was going to have to do this dirty deed today. I could also here him crow at 2:00am, 2:40am, 3:05am, 3:20am, 4:00am......... I finaly got up at 6:00am and went out to check on them.

I have no problem hunting animals but it was emotionally difficult for me to do this. I guess it is different when it is something that you feed and take care of everyday. I am confident that the deed was done quickly and humanely. I also did it away from all of the others so that they did not have to see. That was probably me just putting humane emotions to chickens.

I have two 12 week old Jersey Giant roos that as of right now are sweet as pie! I just hope they are able to learn that I am THE ALPHA ROO!!

2. ranger4327

ranger4327 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My roosters days are numbered as well. He has been agressive to my wife and lil girl, now recently to me. I cant turn my back on him and he makes me a lil nervous. I know a rooster is not needed for production of eggs, but do they have any influence on egg laying at all, besides fertilization. Will the hens continue to lay the same amount with out a rooster. Also, what is the best way to cull him? I am thinking the only way i can get close to him is a shotgun ? What have others done? Any advice?

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I have had to cull several. I will not keep a mean roo. too many kids around. I take them to the local swap or auction. some have gone to live with people who just want something to eat ticks. Some have been dinner. the best way to catch them is to wait until they roost and then go get them. Don't try to grab them during the day you will just upset

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I have had to cull several. I will not keep a mean roo. too many kids around. I take them to the local swap or auction. some have gone to live with people who just want something to eat ticks. Some have been dinner. the best way to catch them is to wait until they roost and then go get them. Don't try to grab them during the day you will just upset the whole flock. It is a hard but necessary part of raising livestock.

5. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My ladies have never been around a roo (except to see one through the bars of the cage at a show once) and they lay just fine, so I wouldn't worry about egg production. I get plenty of eggs every day with no problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by