I had to kick some SERIOUS rooster a_ _ this morning. We had a little "come to jesus" meeting.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelly G, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I went to open the pop-door to let them out for the day and he came flying out at me and trying to spur me! This frickin' bird has lost his ever loing mind!

He is a year old and has been respectful until now.

I went after him and kicked him good when he tried to have another go at me. After that kick connected, he backed off but didn't back down - still puffed up and displaying a bit.

Then he went into the coop and got on the roost and crowed - I thought it would be best to not allow him to crow/display at my eye level, so I went in and knocked him off the roost. He thought it was a good idea to come after me again. Stupid roo.

I snatched him up and held him upside down by his legs until he quit fighting and was quiet - probably about 2 minutes. Then I put him back into the run and stood there to make sure he didn't have any more thoughts about coming after me. He kept his distance and wasn't puffed up anymore.

So...couple of questions....how long can I hold a rooster upside down like that without hurting him. Mad as I am, I don't want to be cruel - just very clear that I am not to be challanged. Period. Moron.

Then - I can seperate him from his girls if that will serve him a piece of humble pie.

I plan on having another "meeting" with him after work today. If the meeting doesn't go well - he will be considered for dinner. Too many nice roos to put up with a jerk!

2. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Go Kelly!

3. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    You need to understand him ... hire the Rooster Whisperer :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    You go girl. I have a d'uccle roo just like that. He is not much longer for this world. Dog food. Strange thing is, he won't attack me, just any and everyone else - esp my husband. Hence the not long for this world....

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    :yesss:

You GO girl!

You can hold him upside down as long as you need to. The opinion that they'll suffocate if you do that is nonsense. Plenty of folks carry them around that way and have for years on end without incident.

If you separate him it'll probably calm him down, but only so long as he's separated and has no flock to "protect." Just keep on what you're doing. You're absolutely right. There's too many nice ones to put up with a jerk.

6. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Just long enough to plop him into the kill cone. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Come to Jesus or end up with Satan. Way to go, Kelly. Convince him that you are dominant (but never turn your back), or coq au vin it is!

2 people like this.
  8. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

A Rooster Whisperer is available in many sizes.

2 people like this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Sick, but very funny. [​IMG]

10. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]