I had to sleep with peafowl eggs on my belly. Will they hatch?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by free_ranger, Aug 27, 2010.

1. free_ranger

free_ranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    near Monaca, PA
    Power lines fell on our road last night, and we had no electricity for 6 hours. I wrapped my Brinsea in a towel and blanket, hoping it would keep the heat in until the power came back, and I resisted the urge to unwrap it and look at the thermometer... for 2 hours....

Then I couldn't take it anymore- not knowing if it was staying warm or not. I should have checked sooner because it was 86 degrees, and the 6 peafowl eggs were at day 19. So I put the 2 eggs on my belly, and had room for 1 more, so I put a questionable one against my skin, under a shirt and sweatshirt, tucked the bottoms into my sleeping pants and laid in bed worrying about them. Then I asked my husband to get another blanket for us (the "us" not including him) because I thought, "Isn't 98.6 too cold, too?" I wondered if my collie was warmer than me and if I should put the eggs under her. So I finally fell asleep feeling ill in my stomach from worry, with a headache too, and woke up sweating. So was that too hot then? I took some covers off and woke up cold, and saw the power had been back on for 3 hours! So maybe I should have left them in the Brinsea. They're in there now, with the 3 I left abandoned.

Do you thinkl the drop in temperature to 86 degrees harmed or killed them? I don't have a candler, just an LED flashlight, so I can't tell much.

I just incubated 2 other batches of eggs, from different ebay sellers, that were a total loss. After 31 days for each set, I opened them up to find that they had never started developing at all. It looked as if you took an egg and shook it in a jar- all 5 of them. So I thought this 3rd batch was the same because all I ever saw were 2 clear eggs, one opaque, and 2 that looked gross with something jellyish sticking to the sides and liquid sloshing all around the air sac, and one that looked halfway like those 2 but maybe not so bad.

I asked a BYCer about those sloshing eggs but he didn't reply so I guessed it meant they were bad and I was wasting his time. So I joined BYC (after many years of reading it) and put out a want ad for silver pheasant eggs, as I do well with pheasants. Then I thought it couldn't harm the peafowl eggs to candle them again, and that's when I saw veins in 2 of them on Wednesday! And now this happens Thursday night.

I'll incubate all of them, but is there any chance the 2 will make it? I'm about ready to drive an hour over to the auction and buy some peachicks with diseases... which is what I didn't want to do, and that's why I bought 11 eggs. For $120. I could have bought a lot of sick peachicks for $120.

Does anyone think my eggs are going to be ok? To have 2 non-hatches go by so slowly and take most of the summer, to finally see those veins, then think it's all ruined and not know for another 10 days.... One day I'll look back on this post and wonder what all my fuss was about and why I bothered all of you kind BYC people.

Sorry for the long post but I edited it and couldn't express myself in any fewer words.

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I don't have the answers you need but I just wanted to say goodluck!
    And if you need chicks I no that deerman on here has BEAUTIFUL birds and you might look him up if the eggs don't hatch.

3. free_ranger

Aug 25, 2010
    near Monaca, PA
    Thanks for the kind thoughts Jen. I had the same idea about deerman when I woke up this morning so I emailed him, just in case.

My poor little peachicks. I hope they'll be okay. My daughter and I already picked out girl and boy names for them a month ago.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    98.6 is probably ok for a few hours, the problem comes from the fact that the eggs will not have been that high because 98.6 is our core temp. Our external temp is quite a bit lower, and our heat transference to other objects is pretty bad as we've only got skin.

That being said, since they were fairly far along (2/3 of the way, right?) they might be ok with a brief temp drop. Even though the temp in the incubator dropped to 86, it's possible their core temp did not drop that low. I can also cite that there was some lady who hatched a bunch of duck eggs while sick in bed by incubating them with her body heat.... so I suppose anything is possible!

In the future, if you are going to be incubating anything again, invest in a few of those hand warmers you can get from walmart or where-ever that are used for hunting and camping- the ones you just open the package and the air activates them. If the power goes out, toss a few in the incubator and wrap it.

Also, I'm sending you a PM....

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If the eggs are on day 19 and you candled them and only saw veins in a clear background then it could mean that they had started developing long ago then quit. If you saw veins and the rest of the egg is dark, then they are developing and have been by day 19. There is no way to say for sure if the different in temps will cause a problem...... it is a wait and see. You will know in a week for sure, and if you candling them and see movement at the top of air cell then they are getting ready for hatch... fingers crossed.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    you should be just fine.
    I have that happen a lot here with these southern thunderstorms and always come out fine.
    Shoot, I unplug incubators to use one plug for my candleing light, well I got side tracked one night and forgot to plug the blame thing back up til the next day when I went to turn them, it was down to 70, God only knows how long, but they were all 2/3 of the way done, every one still hatched just fine. Once they are some what developed, they do produce their own heat, obviously not a lot, but they do make some like any warm blooded animal, so older eggs are a plus in an outage. Also the shell helps insulate them too, the egg temp will not drop nearly as fast as the air temp. That's how hens are abole to get up and feed and drink without any harm to the babies.
    Anyway, candle again, if you see movenmet you are still fine. I still wouldnt toss them if you dont though, always best to be safe than sorry.
    But anything under 12 hours, usually isnt a problem. I do like you started with, just wrap the incubator well with a blanket, and leave them alone til it comes back on, and never have had any major losses.
    Good luck and keep us posted on them

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

you should be just fine.
    I have that happen a lot here with these southern thunderstorms and always come out fine.

Boggy, you mean you've had to incubate peafowl eggs on your stomach too.......... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. free_ranger

Aug 25, 2010
    near Monaca, PA
    Wow, thanks everyone, I feel much better knowing there's a chance rather than just hoping there's a chance. I thought they were done for. I'm the person who incubates clear eggs through to the end, and add a day for good measure, just in case God might notice those little eggs in the incubator and say, "Hold on little eggs! I overlooked you, but I remember you now!" I do the same with little sick chicks, I keep them going weeks past the time normal people would put them down, just in case... unless they're in pain. So I'm going to keep those eggs in the incubator but now it's great to know that I'm not just finishing out 31 days to complete the process I started. As in, wait 31 days, take the eggs out (still talking to them), open them up and see what went wrong. Maybe I will hatch little peachicks after all! Boggy Bottom Bantams, you've given me a great deal of hope. Thank you for telling me about your unplugging your unit.

I am kicking myself because I have those hand warmer packs in a closet 10' away from the incubator and never thought to use them. I kept thinking to myself, "What's warm around here?" and kept coming up with my husband, but didn't think he'd agree to being used like that. Then I thought of putting a hot water bottle under the incubator but didn't think the heat would get to the eggs. I didn't think to use those packs at all, much less in the incubator. I'm going to take them from the laundry closet and hide them in my bird & animal care stash.

chickenzoo, whenever I see your answers I know wisdom is being spread all around. Thanks for all that you post.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWWW....... where's the blushing smilie [​IMG]

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    na,

thought about it thought chickenzoo!!

I'm so skinny, I dont think it would do them any good on me unless I laid on them, LOL

FREE RANGER,
    Keep that hope!
    Like I said, you can candle them now to see, if it was me, I'd be dying to know, if you see the slightest movement, you're still good!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by