I hatched a chick...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 16, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    My broodies chicks have begun hatching.3 chicks hatched early this morning.I begun watching and listening and noticed 2 eggs were cracking.one seems likes it couldn't even get out.So assisted it.Cracked it to th point you could see him (blood was everywhere>)The chick then and now is laying under it's mother,somewhat balled up.It's eyes are slowly opening (Keep in mind I have never actually seen a chick hatch out,so to me this looks like "death",is it or is he just wakening up from a long period time?

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    What made you think it was stuck? How long from zip did you wait to assist? Blood means it was quite likely not ready to hatch. Is its yolk fully absorbed?
    -Banti

3. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Oh, and did you stop the bleeding, or is it still going?
    -Banti

ETA: And how is the mother treating it?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Sadly he did died.He was cracking,then just stopped,so I figured maybe I should pcik some more.BUT,I do have one more eggs moving.tHe chicks is peeping,and slowly picking threw the sack,this whole "Mother Business" is very stressful.,escpecially since she is a first timer...

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    I'm sorry he died. Was it just a tiny pip, or was it starting to rotate around the shell? How long was he stopped?

You don't need to meddle with her, despite how exciting this is. She will do her job much better if not disturbed.
    -Banti

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I checked on the chook again,and he is moving his mouth.just as the other one did,accept this chick seems WAY more determined to come out.No more peeping from him though,but he is defiantly alive

7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Good. Is it just a pip? Don't assist it!
    -Banti

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    K,i'm NEVER touching another egg EVER again.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Alright this chick is slightly moving,do you think he should be hatched by morning?

10. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes 18 hours... Hatching is a patience game. Some chicks already have there yolk fully absorbed when they start pipping, some have just started absorbing the when they make that first crack. It's very hard work escaping the calcium fortress. Best of luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by