I HATE BULLIES!! HELP ME!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken-Man, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Chicken-Man

Chicken-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    ~~I got a new 13 week old island red and has got sick from all the pecking. Her eyes have clear liquid bubbles on her eye balls and when she flicks her head sticky liquid comes out. I also got a 15-20 week old silkie at the same time who every now and then has a peck at the island red (phoenix) but the silkie (Shadow) is usually pretty good with Phoenix. but my other 3 hens will e so so violent to them both when ever they can especially to phoenix. I have seen just little pecks to jumping ontop and going all put brutal. It scares me and the poor little Red. Shadow and phoenix live in a separate cage to my other girls (the bullies) but when they roam or when they can they just bully. I really really need to stop this ASAP or I may need to give the two vicums back (and I have only had them for 2 days and I cant give them back easily after tod. Tomorrow is the dead line. So its either slow down and eventually stop all bullying or I have to say good bye to my so loved girls.... PLEASE!! I am desperate for help and answers!! :hit:barnie:fl:(:th

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd give them back...the red one is sick. The bubbles in her eyes and the slinging of the head to clear nasal passages may be symptoms of an upper respiratory infection called Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, commonly referred to as CRD~chronic respiratory disease. It's pretty contagious, so not a bad thing that you've kept them separate...I'd take them right back where you found them.

http://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree,return them. I think things will just get worse if you keep them. You don't need that aggravation, and you;ll come to love some other birds just as much.

4. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    I love love love love the girl. But when I am there they r mostly left a lone so I hid some cameras and the footage I got was heat breaking. It was so scary. phoenix was just almost killed. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    Thank you very much. Sad but helpful information.... :'(

6. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    Any other info from anyone?

7. Chicken-Man

Jan 8, 2014
    your head.... ~(*.*)~
    Thanks. This illness seems very scary from the web site u sent me 'BeeKissed'. I moved the ill chicken away from my other hens. I am hoping she will be ok and I have put some antibiotic in her water. I am getting her checked tomorrow. Thank you very much

God Bless.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. Cedars Girls

Cedars Girls New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to BYC Forum. I have the same problem and was wondering if it was related to the breed of the bird? I have 4 Austalorps, 6 Red Comets (which I think are a prouduction bird) and 3 EEGs. The Lorps are big enough to hold their own, but do have a few small bald spots. The Comets are very aggresive and have most their tails are striped. The Little EEGs are being stripped by both the other breed. I have tried everything and am sure wintertime boredom is the problem but can't seem to get the right combination. Do you think trading out the RCs would help?

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Agreed. The pecking is normal chicken behavior - big chickens peck at new or smaller chickens. The upper respiratory symptoms scare me. You may very well have exposed your entire flock . Always quarantine new birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by