i hate chicken wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Player Hater, May 14, 2011.

1. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    it's flimsy, dangerous, and unmanageable

i didn't have hundreds of dollars for hardware cloth, so i went with this garbage

if i had to do it again, i would have saved up for the hardware cloth

ugh

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I feel your pain!

Gloves, long sleeves, and safety goggles . . . 'nuf said!

[​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A dog kennel is the best thing ever. Check your CL for listing for used ones that you work for you. If you have small chickens (or chicks) attached about 2-3' of chicken wire around the bottom.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    really? It really depends on the gauge of the wire. Not all chicken wire is flimsy. We bought some at Lowes and yes that was crap. We bought some at the farm and home store and that was like working with hardware cloth! It was hard to unroll, but once we had it unrolled and j-clipped on it worked great!

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    If you got the 2 inch, then yes, it can be flimsy. 1 in isn't as flimsy, and is much stronger

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I once saw 17 gauge chicken wire, but usually it's 20 or higher. But the gauge isn't the only problem, another serious problem with chicken wire is that the strands are woven together rather than welded. Pressure applied to the strands will pull the openings apart and allow access.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Wow you must of really got some cheap stuff!! I never had a problem with it and have gone through about 15 rolls of it!!

8. almost a farm chic

almost a farm chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm on my third roll of 1" 20 gauge. I would have cursed at it outloud, but I have small children. It is wonky, unwieldy and wacky stuff. [​IMG] Rubber dipped gloves and a staple gun. I will temp. clip it somewhere as I work to keep it from springing back in my face, and reset when I get ahead to that spot. Feeling your pain!

9. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you work the roll backwards it's a little easier, atleast then it's trying to roll away from you instead of at your face. Same with hardware cloth.

10. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

some chicken wire attacked my leg the other day....ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by