I hate chicken wire!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cpwhip, Jul 21, 2011.

1. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    ok, I upgraded my coop size and picked an awesome spot to set the new coop then I built a 22x16 foot run and used chicken wire to cover it.
    I hate the look of chicken wire its ugly and hard to work with and all wibbled no matter how hard I stretch it, it still looks aweful!
    please if any of you know of a better easier mesh/wire or something I can use please fill me in...please....
    thank you!

2. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    pretty please:love

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Hardware cloth?

4. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    The chicken wire will only keep your chickens in, but predators will not be kept out. 1/2"x 1/2" hardware cloth is a better, safer choice. At least along the lower few feet of the run. I am a newbie, but spent a lot of time reading about coop and run safety before building our run.

5. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank you Lisa! I was wondering about that, would hardware cloth keep out other critters?
    is it really cloth or still wire? I was thinking of deer netting but I'm not sure if that would work either?
    I need about 225 feet and looked online at the deer netting and its really pricey over 250.00 for 100 feet.
    anyone here have a place they buy this stuff online? my local stores pretty much only sell wire type stuff.

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    we have plastic screening from Lowes.but our coop has wooden slats like a fence.Very few actual predators challenge the gambit across hwy 72 (road kill road) jump into our yard and survive Scrapper (barn ferel cat) before getting free chickens.Havent seen one make it that far.Hardware cloth is the way to go.

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Hardware cloth is the best to use for keeping out predators! It is pricey though but in the long run your chickens will be safer. It is very sturdy. I got mine at Tractor Supply. I am not sure if you could find it cheaper elsewhere but I think the hardware cloth will be your best choice. If it is the same deer netting I am thinking of, that doesn't keep out predators very well.

8. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    ok hardware cloth it is then, ok now where can I purchase it online? I plan to redo the entire run.
    here's a pic of the ugly thing I have now.
    [​IMG]

9. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
  10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    We managed to find a 100' length in the 48". Keep looking! Please know, it is a BEAST to work with. Use all caution! Heavy gloves, long sleeves and pants. Also, be sure to fix it to your posts with screws and washers, not staples. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by