I hate foxes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Little Rooster, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Little Rooster

Little Rooster In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Central Ca
    I lost two hens last night to a fox. The dogs woke me up barking at 4:00 am. Went out side and there was a fox in my back yard. I let one of my dogs go and it chased the fox off. After the sun came up I noticed I had two missing hens. I have or had 4 hens that I would just let run free and the rest of my chickens I keep in coops. I am worried about my ones in the coop now.

Anyone know how to get rid of a fox?

2. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    live trap, or stay up and hunt it

3. Rooster1235597

Rooster1235597 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    connecticut
    but for foxes when u set live traps u have to put leaves around it and make it look like a den... but if ur gonna kill it there r permits u need for killing foxes

4. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea you may want to check your local fish and wildlife, here in ky you can protect your personal property no ?s asked

5. Little Rooster

Little Rooster In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Central Ca
    We have the right to protect our property here also. Plus I live out on the county so no one will know when I ketch it. I set a live trap and also have my shotgun ready.
    I put eggs in the trap for bait. Has anyone here ever trapped a fox? If so what did you use for bait?

6. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    if you know he is out and about try some raw meat, or even break the eggs

7. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Songster

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    You will probably have to use a leg hold trap, most fox won't go in a live trap.

8. sjranch

sjranch In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    central california
    Quote:We had a fox in our shop last winter. He sure made a mess of things but we set a live trap baited with cat food . The first night he stole the can out of the trap very sly he was. so we drilled a hole in the cat food can and used some tye wire to secure it to the trap got the little bugger the second night. happy hunting

9. mmwb

mmwb Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Young of the year foxes--which are probably fairly large by now--will go into a cage trap. The adult red fox seldom will. Gray fox seem a bit less trap shy about cages. Footholds are a good all around predator trap, but you want the right sized trap and you need to learn how to make a proper set. Snares have their place as well. I wouldn't recommend the bodygrip traps for on land use (less risk in the water). They can be used, but they--like all traps--are indiscriminate and kill what they catch. They are also dangerous for people too. Many wouldn't know what one was to see it. The larger ones that would be used for raccoon could be very damaging to a child.

These animals are often perceived as crafty or intelligent, but in reality their behaviors are generally driven by timidity, skittishness, and tenacity. Raccoons, for example, don't figure their way into difficult coops because they are great problem solvers, but because they just don't give up. You can trap raccoons multiple times over. Cats are similar. Not a sign of intelligence. Foxes are not exceptionally smart, but learn from our errors better then the others. Coyotes are up a grade in how quickly they learn, and can be educated, but are not as intelligent as many seem to want to think they are.

You are probably going to have to deal with more than one fox. Minimum of two is probable. If a family group, likely more.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Songster

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    Nice Post MMWB You seem to be a person who is observent and contemplative. Humans often attribute inteligence to perservernce.
    I have a fox, killed several after digging under the outside pen. I set a leg hold and the fox dug it out of the the dig under. Now my chickens wont come off the roost on the inside pen. No digging there yet but I am thinking a smaller leg hold trap gently burried, but using a shovel not my hand to keep the sent off.
    As to the law; I dont think there is a state that will prosecute for dispatch of an effecting animal distroying live stock. Unless the offender is protected,or endangered. Fox are not either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: