I hate hand turning eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 29, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I hate hand turning eggs. I don't mind doing it so much it's the fear of dropping them. My bator bearly holds 9 eggs, and it's really hard to get my fingers around them to turn them. I'm afraid I'm going to drop one and crack all the eggs under it. [​IMG] Must get auto egg turner, then I can maybe justify a larger bator to put it in.... [​IMG]

BTW, it's only day 6 [​IMG] I candle tomorrow, and I'm so NERVOUS!! [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I agree. You must get eggturner. I have been so happy having a turner. I still check on my eggs but it eliminates opening the bator three times a day. I only open to candle or add water now, or get chicks out that have hatched in the turner cup. [​IMG]

3. skeeter

skeeter Songster

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    +I hear that I had 25 eggs and I droped one while turning and it hit another egg and broke the one it hit,and yes it was developing,but i had eight that wasnt fertilized figures id hit a good one,start day 19 in 5 hours,no more turning, yeah

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

I agree that you MUST have a turner!!! Which, or course, means you have to buy a bigger bator!!! In all seriousness, though, my hatches are better now that I don't have to open my bator 3 times a day. I think you'll be much happier with a turner. (How's that for enabling!!!)

Lori

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Songster

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I just brought a turner home from the feed store about an hour ago. I couldn't take the thought of having to turn three times a day. My memory isn't good enough to remember to turn them. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member 10 Years

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Lone Cowboy, I have been turning these eggs by hand. I find that having a wet paper towel to slightly dampen my fingers gives me a much better grip.

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Songster

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Same here. I always get a wet rag or something and keep my fingertips damp. Really helps on the grip..

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Good idea. I'll try that. Still need a turner. Don't spoil my enabler there. [​IMG]

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a Hovabator, and the egg turner that fits it holds 42 eggs. I've never had that many make it to hatch, but it does make it a lot easier to keep up with which eggs are which and not have to remember to turn them. I wouldn't have bought my incubator without it. I'm just to lazy to remember to turn them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: