I hate hand turning eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 29, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I hate hand turning eggs. I don't mind doing it so much it's the fear of dropping them. My bator bearly holds 9 eggs, and it's really hard to get my fingers around them to turn them. I'm afraid I'm going to drop one and crack all the eggs under it. [​IMG] Must get auto egg turner, then I can maybe justify a larger bator to put it in.... [​IMG]

BTW, it's only day 6 [​IMG] I candle tomorrow, and I'm so NERVOUS!! [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I agree. You must get eggturner. I have been so happy having a turner. I still check on my eggs but it eliminates opening the bator three times a day. I only open to candle or add water now, or get chicks out that have hatched in the turner cup. [​IMG]

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    +I hear that I had 25 eggs and I droped one while turning and it hit another egg and broke the one it hit,and yes it was developing,but i had eight that wasnt fertilized figures id hit a good one,start day 19 in 5 hours,no more turning, yeah

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that you MUST have a turner!!! Which, or course, means you have to buy a bigger bator!!! In all seriousness, though, my hatches are better now that I don't have to open my bator 3 times a day. I think you'll be much happier with a turner. (How's that for enabling!!!)

Lori

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I just brought a turner home from the feed store about an hour ago. I couldn't take the thought of having to turn three times a day. My memory isn't good enough to remember to turn them. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Lone Cowboy, I have been turning these eggs by hand. I find that having a wet paper towel to slightly dampen my fingers gives me a much better grip.

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Same here. I always get a wet rag or something and keep my fingertips damp. Really helps on the grip..

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Good idea. I'll try that. Still need a turner. Don't spoil my enabler there. [​IMG]

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a Hovabator, and the egg turner that fits it holds 42 eggs. I've never had that many make it to hatch, but it does make it a lot easier to keep up with which eggs are which and not have to remember to turn them. I wouldn't have bought my incubator without it. I'm just to lazy to remember to turn them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by