I Hate Meeces to Pieces!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We planned on putting up our Xmas tree today. Got our front room all rearranged. Went out to our shed in the back forty and hauled in our artificial tree and boxes of ornaments. Then to the front shed to get more boxes of xmas stuff. This is the shed where i have hutches with moms and babies and the bins of feed and such. As i began to pull out xmas bins, i'm seeing mice droppings on every one of them. Then i start to really look around and there are mouse droppings EVERYWHERE! Now, i'm out there many times a day and haven't seen anything. Now, all of a sudden, mouse turds on and in everything - even on and around the hutches with my moms and babies. Yikes!

Cleaned up as best as i could and set out what we had in the way of mouse traps - three sticky traps, two spin traps, and my rat zapper. Set up the baby cam on the floor to monitor progress. So far tonight the rat zapper fried one mouse. But i am just so dismayed. Going to have to haul everything out of that shed and scrub it down. i hadn't counted on this. i really wanted to put up our Xmas tree today. [​IMG]

I hate meeces to pieces!

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Sounds like this might be the year of the rodent.

I discovered I had a rat living in my basement. Not just the basement, but in my AC/H ducts. I wouldn't have known except my cats kept sitting by the air intake (floor) and staring at it. Since I rarely go into the basement, I took a peek. Poo everywhere, and I saw the tail end of a rat going into my ducting where a nice big hole was chewed into it. I set out two traps. The next day I found one trap sprung and licked clean, and a beautiful rat in the other....dead. He was clean, shiney coat, healthy but OUGHT NOT TO HAVE BEEN EATING MY HOUSE.

Thinking there may be more than one, I set out the traps again. Next morning found one trap sprung and licked clean, and the second trap was missing altogether, no sign of it anywhere. Can't tell how big the hole in my plastic covered insulated ducting is and I'm hoping that darned critter didn't take the trap in there with him somehow and end up dying there. That would be a mell of a hess. That night I went to Home Depot and bought three more traps; would have bought more, but that's all they had.

Next morning, caught another rat, but the other traps were NOT sprung, but licked clean. what??? How does a rat eat peanut butter off the trap without setting it off??

Tonight I have set the traps again. I am certain I will need to replace the entire ducting system in my house for the sake of health, even though the two rats I caught were so clean they could have been someone's pets (but I doubt it). Fortunately, these creeepy animals are not coming into my house. I am having dreams about it though.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Ooooh Colleen, I am freaking out just thinking about it!

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Melt a bit of Choclate bar in your fingers, then onto the trap, let set a few moments ( it hardens again) the set two traps together opposite Sides close to gether...the rat might be able to lick one, but a misstep and the other one will get him.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh man, last winter we had rats get into our basement and cause a lot of damage. They came up underneath our brand new dishwasher and chew through the drain pump. We ended up with water damage and nothing was covered by our warranty. We sealed up all the vents around the perimeter and threw a ton of rat bait under the house. One more day of hearing dancing rats in the walls, and then no more. i just told my husband we should pitch more rat bait under our house now, as a precaution.

i didn't think mice would be as bad, but when i saw their feces all around my hutches, and even in the pan under one hutch that houses one broody and our two teeniest babies, i freaked. And the poop is just everywhere. That's our tool shed too, and i'm not the tidiest person in putting stuff away so we have a long table-shelf thing just covered in tools and staples and nails and drills . . . and mouse poop! [​IMG]

But, so far tonight we've killed two mice in the rat zapper. You can hear it going off over the baby monitor "Zoooooooooooooot" then a pause, then "zoooooooooooooooooot". Funny, the sticky traps (that you fold into a tent) were pushed aside from where i put them. Not sure if the spin traps are sprung. i'll have to check those tomorrow.

Well, maybe this is the nudge i've needed to get that shed all cleaned out and set up how i want. i really want to build in some permanent brooders and then an aviary with perches for Mr. Tweedley-Dee and his girls to sleep in at night. i should also build sleeping quarters for Tony Soprano (who isn't a soprano at all) so my husband can sleep thought the night during the summertime when all the windows are open.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I bought a rat zapper last week and it has yet to catch anything. I just don't have it in a good spot I guess. I've been catching rats outside our layer barn in conibear traps. I can hear them between the walls in the barn and every now and again see one running through the barn at night.

7. tropicalchicken

tropicalchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    We were having horrible problems with rats and mice. The mice were so bold they would just go into the chicken coops and eat out of the bowls while we were watching. We set the spring loaded rat traps and one cage style live trap. Caught a mongoose in the live trap, which was good as it had gotten one of our baby chickens. One spring trap was set off and the other one was just gone. We looked and looked and could not find it. Obviously it was attached to a rat. He showed up several days later in our lawn, dead, missing his shoulder. I was horrified. He chewed off his shoulder and bled to death on our lawn. we never did find the shoulder.

After dealing with this for two months and not catching any mice, we finally caved in and went to the pound and got two outside cats. Within about a week or so, we were rat and mice free. My new cats don't cost any more to feed than the mice and rats cost us in traps and food.

The rats were the biggest, but those mice were really nasty, one got so fat he chewed a hole in the wire going into the pens, as he was to fat to get in anymore. We used traps, they would eat the stuff right out of them, sticky traps would be found in holes going into the ground. We put bait in the pens with the doors closed and they would go in and dig around for grain and not touch the bait. I tried putting food in a bucket with a ramp going up the side, they outsmarted everything except for the cats.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I came up with one technique to bait rodent traps and never have had the bait stolen. I use a strip of bacon (which we do not eat ourselves but keep a little in freezer). I tie it to the bait tray with fine wire several wraps. That way they will have to pull it somewhat to get a bite out. It is good for a week or more if not taken immediately. Also good is velveeta cheese (another thing we do not eat). Mash it in to all of the crevices of the bait tray and do not set it out until it has hardened somewhat. Set it out on a windowsill in the sun to harden before placing it. Also rub a little bacon grease or lard on trap to attract them. For rats, stake the trap into place so that they cannot drag it off.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We have alot of mice this time of year, when it starts cooling down the start coming in. Last summer we had a problem with them in the feed barn chewing into feed bags. One day I saw just the tail end of a snake going into the barn and behind the feed bags. Within a couple days there wasn't a mouse in the da house! I liked that snake. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    OMG tropicalchicken, that is really horrifying!

i appreciate all the suggestions. We clearly have a huge infestation. i caught 3 last night in the rat zapper, just kept dumping them out and resetting it. This morning there was another dead mouse inside. Spin traps not touched at all. Two of the sticky traps are missing in action. i suspect i will find several dead mice with glue traps stuck to their bodies when i get to pulling out all the bins and boxes.

After dumping out the mouse this morning, i wasn't going to set it again as the lights are on in the shed, but i thought, what the heck. Shortly after i came inside i heard the electrical interference with the baby monitor. But it kept going on and on. i ran out to see if it caught something really big. But it was just another mouse and for some reason the zapper kept zapping. i could smell burning hair. [​IMG]

Now Steve, i'm not sure i want a snake in my shed with my broodies and babies. i wouldn't mind a cat, if it wouldn't hurt the chickens. We have lot's of cats that traipse through our yard, ferals in the back and then neighbor cats that like to come and just hang out. Maybe i'll stop shooing them away.

OMG the rat zapper is going off again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by