I hate Northern Fowl Mites!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taprock, Mar 16, 2012.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if anyone can give me advice. I have been battling Northern Fowl Mites all winter. I am in Northern Michigan and was not able to do a complete coop clean out until now. So here is what I have done or tried and I still have mites. I cleaned out both coops, all the old bedding, took a shop vac to the whole thing. Bleached the smaller coop and scrubbed the larger coop. Took roosts out and washed them. Then I dusted with a Poultry dust and DE. I also gave the really badly infested birds baths and treated everyone with Ivomectin. I still have mites. In the past I have tried essential oils, putting in cedar boughs, premerthrin spray and another type of dust. What makes this unbearable for me is they bite me.. a lot! I have at least 50 bites right now. I'm not sure how they are getting on me. I am totally creeped out and itchy. I also found some on my week old chicks that must have come off the mom and I'm not sure what to do for them. Anyone have any ideas, what am I doing wrong? How do I convince the mites I'm not a chicken? I'm the only human in the household that they get on or bite. My son can spend hours out there with none!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems like they have prefferences, like mosquitoes. they just like some people more than others. Here's what I would do. Get some Adams flea and tick dip. Mix it up as directed in a 5 gallon bucket, and proceed to dip EVERY bird on the place, except the hen and chicks. Those should be dusted with Sevin Dust. Do it on a warm morning so they have a warm day to dry. Spray everything, coop, nests, roost, everything, with the Adams mixture. In my opinion, DE is totally useless. Good luck........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by