I hate people who forget that you are working night shift.

PaulaSB12

Songster
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
I told the person I was working night shift weekend but they rang a 1 in the afternoon and I couldn't get back to sleep so that will be me up for 19 hours and I hate working that tired. open car window music on full blast and fans on cold tomorrow.

somad.gif

tongue.gif

rant.gif

smack.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Happens to me a lot.

ring
ring
ring

"Hey what you doing?"
"Sleeping"
"Why are you sleeping?"
"Because I went to bed an hour ago."
"Why?"
"You should have hung up after my first words.."

click

And that's when my dad calls lol he forgets at least once or twice a week.

When we were first married, I worked at 2 am and my husband was an on call substitute teacher.

He was really good about grabbing the phone on the first ring, but it still disturbed me.
Sometimes you can't turn the ringer off.

I worked nights for several years and always turned the ringer on my phone off. Not much I could do about the solicitors banging on my door, though. No, signs don't work.
smack.gif

Quote:
For me I can't.. Land line in the house, plus I'm on call... But very few people have my personal cell phone # and they should know better....
wink.png
Land line I can't hear in the bedroom though.

I worked odd hours for many years - trust me, I WILL find a way to silence a phone. In a drawer, under the sofa pillows, in the car, whatever it takes. I always left it capable of receiving messages, but that was it.

Can't do much about the doorbell, though I did tape it so it's quieter. It's one of the old style ones, bell and hammer.

Been working shift work for 33 years, that's right 33 years, 12 hour shifts. Monday Tuesday 7-7 days, Friday Saturday Sunday 7-7 nites, Wednesday Thursday 7-7 days, Monday Tuesday 7-7 nites, Friday Saturday Sunday 7-7 days, Wednesday Thursday 7-7 nites--- and then it starts all over again.

I have gone through just about every disturbance known to man while sleeping, car alarms, smoke alarms, nieghbor calling with medical emergency, thunderstorms, hurricanes, power outages, nieghbor using a bulldozer, dog eating the meter reader, car wrecks, train wrecks (true), emergency recall to work, you name it, I have lived it.

Some times you role over and go back to sleep sometimes you don't, working shift work it's all about lack of sleep and how you deal with it. If you are working shift sleep deprevation is a way of life-- make friends with it.

Example-- Working nites Wednesday and Thursday, got up Thursday after noon at 1400, lots of stuff going on Friday, no sleep, so I went from 1400 Thursday to about 2200 Friday with ZERO down time, what's that 36 hours? Slept from 2200 to about 0530, up and on the tractor for 0600, grandkids, church fair, my dad, lunch, sno balls, daughter's birthday, back in bed for 2200 last night. Slept in this morning didn't get up until 0630 heck half the day gone sun was up. On the tractor for 0730, 2 hours on the tractor. 0930 worked with horses for a couple hours, then came in for a shower/shave and a nap. Well I got the shower and shave, 6 year old grand daughter, so it's out to the swimming pool in a minute. This is routine for me, and has been most of my adult life.

Get to go back to work in the morning, I'll get some rest then!

Oh wow I'm sorry! My husband worked night shift for 2 weeks in Dec/Jan of this year. He worked at a mill doing repairs. It was 12 hours on and 12 hours off 7 days a week. He would call me at 10pm on his first break and 1am and then at 3am and one last time at 7am when he got off... I lost more sleep then him but I didn't miss a call from him. I'm glad he's done with that! When he finally came home he slept like 15 hours just getting back to normal. I hope you get more rest!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom