I hate the chick stater our stores have this year

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Jun 7, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Last year everyone (all the stores that have chick and chickens supplies) had the manna pro chick starter and it was good. This year they have something different and I hate it. The crumbles are huge and the chicks seem to have a really hard time eating it. I have now started putting it in a bag, and hitting it with a hammer to break it up in smaller pieces. When I do that, it looks about like what I got last year. And the chicks are eating it a whole lot better.

We have three farm supply stores in our town and they are the only place that has chick and chicken supplies. Everyone of them only have that new chick starter feed. Boy do I wish they would have stayed with what they had last year.

Anyone else unhappy with the chick starter this year?

Anyone else having trouble with it being too big for their chicks to eat?

I imagine that within a few weeks the chicks will be big enough to eat it without me having to break it into smaller bits, but wish I didn't have to go through that for the next few weeks.

2. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I'm getting my starter at the local feed mill. It ranges from powdery to crumbles the size of grower grit (the meduim size). My oldest is 13.5wks, youngest is 3wks and I have a bit of waste because they don't eat all of the powdery part. It's still cheaper than the $16 bags. I am spending under $11 for a 50# bag at the mill.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:I'm hating my chick starter this year because it is all powder. It looks like flour and sticks to everything! It's dusty and sticks to fingers, feathers and the worst part is I have to dust the heat light every day so as not to burn the house down. Never again. We need to meet in the middle!

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I'm having just the opposite problem with the latest bag I got. It's way too powdery, which is leading to waste. I won't try this kind again.

5. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    have you tried talking to your feed store to see if they can get you a different kind in? I believe strongly in customer service - I would definitely talk to them first. That said I have 2 local feed stores - one carries only purina. The other carries Nutrena & Bartlett. I still have to drive an hour to get my horse Blue Seal lol (But I understand that because Blue Seal has restrictive ordering policies).

6. greenfingers

greenfingers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I buy a chick starter that is made locally. It sometimes is a little 'chunky' too. But I fill their dish and then splash hot water on the top. After a minute it makes the chunks fall apart and the chicks really go for it 'cause it's damp and easy to eat.

7. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I'm hating my chick starter this year because it is all powder. It looks like flour and sticks to everything! It's dusty and sticks to fingers, feathers and the worst part is I have to dust the heat light every day so as not to burn the house down. Never again. We need to meet in the middle!

Our starter has sticks and leaves in it. Who knows what else is in there.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA

Our starter has sticks and leaves in it. Who knows what else is in there.

I would be taking that back to the store to get my money back. [​IMG]

9. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania

Same here! My chicks won't eat that powdery stuff!

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I'm a newbie to chick raising, and so have only just bought my second bag. That said, the medicated starter I used was Nutrena, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it, as half the bag seemed to be powder that just got kicked all over the place and not eaten. I've just switched to Blue Seal unmedicated crumbles, and really like it, as I'm not seeing much powder at all. It smells nice and fresh, too. I think I'm a Blue Seal convert!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by