I hate to be a worry wart.........but?????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willkatdawson, Mar 26, 2011.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Millie (my broody) is sitting on 5 black copper maran eggs and 4 ee eggs. Today is day 20. One of the EE's hatched during the night, it had piped late last evening. Today 3 of the maran chicks hatched, but the last maran egg and the 3 EE eggs haven't even piped. I candled the EE eggs and at 15 days they seemed viable. Should I be concerned. I know there's not anything I can do, but is it normal for the hatch to be spread out this far?

http://thewannabecountrygirl.com/millie-and-her-brood-part-3-theyre-hatching/

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Anythings possible. I wouldn't worry. If they don't hatch after a few days I would take away the extra eggs since they are probably duds.

3. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    If there isn't any activity from the other eggs soon mama will leave the nest with the new babies to take care of them. If you have an incubator you could stick them in there to keep em going until they're ready. She'll be on the nest tonight, so you could get the incubator going and be ready to take them in the morning...

4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I love your thread to the pictures.

5. carmeninthecountry

carmeninthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    momma will do what is necessary do not worry she knows what is going on ... she will let you know

6. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    love the pictures too,
    now if that were me sitting there holding the chick with my one mama hen around, I would be sporting some injuries. Why can't my broody hens be that patient ???!!!

7. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:Thanks!

8. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Quote:You know it's so funny you would say that. We were just talking this morning about Millie and how when she's sitting on the eggs she'll bite if you reach under, but the minute the first egg hatches she's so docile. I think she's scared she might peck the chick instead of the human.

As of this morning 4 of the Black Copper Maran chicks have hatched, and 2 of the Easter Egg chicks have hatched. So we're impatiently waiting for the last maran chick and 2 on the EE chicks to hatch.

One of the EE chicks is a slate blue color and the other is jet black. I love Easter Eggers. Their "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".........what movie is that from?

9. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    We're still in a holding pattern here. Waiting for the 2 EE eggs and the 1 Maran egg to hatch. I really am getting worried. They haven't even piped yet. The first chick was born Friday morning during the night time, so it's almost 2 days old. I candled the blue eggs on day 15 and the 4 I left in the nest were developing. What's going on????

10. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I've heard of people taking away chicks from the mama so she'll stay sitting on the unhatched eggs longer and then giving the chicks back after the hatch is over.

Good luck - and hatching thoughts to you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by