I hate to let my boys go but I have to thin the roos

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, May 8, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You all know I love my roos, but I have to thin them out. They don't fight, but it's getting to where the ducks and hens are hiding under the house, in the trees, because the boys are doing what comes naturally. So this weekend, I'm going to do my best to find them homes, and I'm going to cry over every single one of them! It's not fair to the girls to keep them all.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I'm in the same boat-I'm thinking of building mini chicken coops-1 for each different roo and find a mate for them or two-per pen...I dont want to give them up!

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I absolutely love my roos, but even I have to admit I have just too many and they deserve ladies of their own.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I wound up with 3 lavendar silkies-12 weeks old-well the looks of their combs and huge wattles pretty much tells me that they are boys! so Im stuck there..with some help from a friend I decided to keep all of them and see how they do together.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL I have in the neighborhood of 15 roos, possible more. And while they don't fight or argue it's just too hard on the hens and they are using plastic bottles and ducks for replacements so it's not fair to the roos either.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    plastic bottles???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] to mate with? wow that isn't fair at all!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry Im trying to get "it" together right now without crying from laughing so hard!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've got to send 3 leghorns to freezer camp. DS#4 says that they are my alarm clock. DW says they've got to go.

I'm really going to try and keep my maran roo and hope he doesn't get too loud.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I had an epiphany when I read WoW's prior post about Nugget and his surrogate lady (lg. dishwashing liquid bottle). I thought I had demented little guys because my bantam frizzle cochins have fallen in love with HALF of a plastic cup I formerly used to dip feed. It split in half lengthwise, and they ADORE it. One of them has "graduated" I suppose... I saw him yesterday really trying to work over a one gallon milk jug I used to carry water out to the henhouse. Strange little dudes... [​IMG] I plan to save some of the small size dishwashing detergent bottles so they can have an entire harem. [​IMG] [​IMG]

From my Feb. 8 hatch, I have at least 3 roos (RIR roo over BO hen) who need to find new lodgings or be afforded their own bachelor quarters. From the April 1st feed store acquisitions, out of the three BRs, one is most definitely a cockerel, and out of the 6 Easter Eggers, the one that did not look like an EE to me is sporting a bright pink comb and mini-wattles. [​IMG] Anyone in need of a few teenage boys? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I can't do freezer camp, I love my boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by