1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I hate turkey vultures...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SunnysideupstateNY, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Songster

May 15, 2010
    Well I am missing 2 girls. The youngest barely survived and has a large open gash under her wing and on her head. The three others are ok. One has blood on her comb but no cuts. I have slathered the youngest one with triple antibiotic ointment and got some tetracycline to put in her water. She's inside in a clean environment is eating and drinking. I've also given her yogurt (before I got to the store for the tetracycline). Does anyone have any other suggestions...besides shooting the vultures....

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Yes shoot them TWICE as much just for me [​IMG] ...... [​IMG] poor chickies keep them warm and some-place dark to help shock oh and get a HUGE rooster to spur the vultures [​IMG] sorry they are hurt

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    oh and [​IMG]

4. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chirping

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    shot gun ! you can get more than 1 with each shot ! Hahahahahahahahah

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Vultures? Vultures don't nearly ever attack live animals- especially new world vultures... What's wrong with those vultures? They must be starving--- how odd. They might be sick...

Vultures seldom attack healthy animals, but may kill the wounded or sick. When a carcass has too thick a hide for its beak to open, it waits for a larger scavenger to eat first.[4] Vast numbers have been seen upon battlefields. They gorge themselves when prey is abundant, till their crop bulges, and sit, sleepy or half torpid, to digest their food. They do not carry food to their young in their claws, but disgorge it from the crop. These birds are of great value as scavengers, especially in hot regions. Vulture stomach acid is exceptionally corrosive, allowing them to safely digest putrid carcasses infected with Botulinum toxin, hog cholera, and anthrax bacteria that would be lethal to other scavengers.[5] This also enables them to use their reeking, corrosive vomit as a defensive projectile when threatened. Vultures urinate straight down their legs; the uric acid kills bacteria accumulated from walking through carcasses, and also acts as evaporative cooling.[citation needed]​

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm .. we've got TONS of them .. and I've never had a problem with them messing with my chickens.. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Vultures only eat carrion. It's more than likely illegal to shoot them too since they are a migratory bird.

8. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    It could have been a hawk too. But the only things I've seen today were vultures. But I could be mistaking them for buzzards. The lady at tractor supply said shes been having trouble with them too.

9. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Yes, that is very odd. Vultures are the clean-up crew. They are not predator birds. You're probably dealing with a hawk.

10. SunnysideupstateNY

May 15, 2010
    And yes...it is illegal to shoot them in NY. Unfortunately....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: