1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I hate washing machines.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SarahBeth9394, Jan 13, 2010.

1. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I'll try and make a long story short. [​IMG]

We bought a new HE washer/front loader 4 years ago. In that time we had to have a tech out 4 times. The warranty was up in June and the blasted thing broke in November. Two things broke on it and it wasn't worth fixing. So we went ahead and bought a new washer. This time we got a top loader HE machine. Purchase date 11/29. Monday the thing broke. So we had the appliance guy come out and he said the motor was bad and he will order one which will take a week to get it. Yeah a week. So this is the second time we are going to have to do the laundromat thing in just 6 weeks.

My parents had the same washer from the time I was in 3rd grade till after I graduated high school and left the nest. My inlaws have had the same washer for 12 years. They just don't make them like they used to. We have gone through 4 in the last 16 years and have had to purchase our 5th. Only one of them didn't break but we gave to my sil when we moved across country. One we bought used and gave it away when my hubby got me a new washer and dryer (the dryer we had bought used and hubby repaired the wheels several times) because the ones we had were on their last legs. I am following all the loading instructions on them and caring for them the way the manual states. But come on they just aren't being made well. Just 6 weeks and the motor goes bad.

The average family can't afford to replace their washers every 4 or 5 years.

Oh and our dishwasher broke over the summer and it couldn't have been 5 years old.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Appliances are now so cheaply designed the only last about 5 years. I have a 4 year old upright freezer...that will soon be an incubator instead. It stinks!! I can't afford the crap either. It's frustrating to say the least [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've never had much problems with my washers--I think I've had 4 since 1978--the latest one just this last October, the first was a 15-20 year old used one that I had for a couple of years than gave to my brother when I was transferred overseas for a couple of years. When I came back it was easier to get a new one.

Now I have had dreadful luck with dishwashers--we're on the third one in this house--we've lived here not quite 11 years.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What brand? I actually rarely buy appliances, but when I do I check Consumer Reports- either the magazine and yearly books at the library or by joining the online site for a fee. They've steered me right so far. [​IMG]

Good luck, hope it all gets resolved soon.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I hear ya'. What brands are these washers? I've had Kenmore and they seem to last forever. But I haven't heard much good on those front loaders.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agreed--for major appliances you definitely need to check out Consumer Reports ratings.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    That sucks. Our fridge went out after 6 years. Before that, I was young and just married. We went to a used appliance store and for 500.00 bought a washer, dryer and a fridge. They lasted about 10 years and they were 10 years old when we got them.(20 years) New doesn't mean forever anymore.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The problem with relying on brand names is that the companies keep getting bought and sold and you really have no idea (unless you do your homework) as to whether a brand that has a reputation based upon many years is really worth its reputation any more.

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I confess, I am a Kenmore fan from waaaaaay back. My first washer ever was a twenty year old Kenmore from a yard sale- I got it fo $20.00. When I moved after having used it for another 10 years, I gave it to my vet. Knowing Dr. David, he still has it!

ETA, most Kenmore is made by Whirlpool still, another good one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Very true, especially now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by