1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

=[ I hate watching animal planet sometimes

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Ugh so I'm sitting here because I'm too lazy to get dressed on my day off, surfing channels and the only thing on is Animal Cops Houston. Good show, I like all the "Animal Cops" shows because they do follow ups and show lots of happiness. But watching today, they just busted a cock fighting ring [​IMG] Seeing all those roosters and hens and baby chicks, it breaks my heart. They euthanize most of the Roos on sight, because they're fighting roosters and can't be rehabilitated. I just wish there was a better option. [​IMG] They're such beautiful birds too, big pretty boys. I wish there was something I could do to help in situations like this. I know our local ASPCA euthanized three hens and a rooster last winter because they "didn't see them as adoptable animals" and I couldn't believe it. Thankfully the PSPCA took over and made our local shelter "No Kill". Wow, so now I'm kind of rambling, but I just can't understand why people would take such beautiful creatures and force them to fight to the death! [​IMG] It makes me love my chicks even more! They did just show a pretty little hen that's up for adoption, they were amazed she laid an egg while in the shelter! I guess it's still a happy story because the hens, the non fighting roosters and the chicks are all getting better lives. And the fighting roos are at least no longer in pain. Just breaks my heart.

Edited to add:
    I feel a little better, I just looked at some ADORABLE pictures of babies on the raising chicks page. Ohh BYC you know how to cheer me up:love

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Hey - I'm watching the same show right now. I did laugh at first when the announcer guy said "103 roosters" and They were panning past some hens. But then he talked about the hens.
    I like the Animal Cops shows also.

I was wishing that since they have to euthanize the roosters anyway that they would slaughter them and feed them to the homeless.
    At least they would serve a higher purpose than fighting.

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:My thoughts EXACTLY! Also: Cool we're watching the same thing. But yeah! It kills me that not only did they live short, miserable lives, their deaths are also wasted! The same thing happened up here a few years ago, a veal truck tipped over with about 100 calves inside. About 40 of the lived, but according to "Company Regulations" they had to be euthanized and incinerated. It's just senseless to me.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    How sad! I like watching the "Animal Cops" show, too; I think it's interesting.

Unfortunately, any mention of cockfighting on BYC seems to turn into a pretty hot topic, so we have to enforce the rule that we just don't talk about it here on the forum at all, whether the discussion is that it's good or that it's bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by