1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 11 hens between 21-27 weeks old- NONE are laying!! What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickoletta, Mar 4, 2015.

1. chickoletta

chickoletta Just Hatched

They have 500 sq feet of run, and their coop is 64 sq feet (though they huddle together in about 10 sq feet lol!). I have 3 EEs, 1 black astralorp, 2 white leghorns, 1 BR, one BO, one RIR and 2 black sexlinks. The RIR and BR are the oldest, the youngest is one EE and a leghorn. I have supplemental light that, together with natural sunlight amounts to 14 hours. They have NO interest in nests. I checked pelvic bones on the BR she was not happy and I could only fit 2 fingers. The RIR shows the most comb and wattle development, though most all of them have some growth (except the youngest EE and leghorn).

I'm feeding them grower feed with supplemental calcium. They all appear healthy and happy and mite free. What gives? It's gorgeous spring weather here, all that is missing are the eggs!!!!

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    You say they aren't interested in the boxes. Are they squatting or practicing the egg song at all?

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Maybe they are hiding their eggs.

4. chickoletta

chickoletta Just Hatched

They only sing when they see me coming and they think I have treats. Other than that the just make cute clucking noise. I thought they were squatting for me, but it was just them getting comfortable in the dirt bath. They stayed squatting. When I come near them, non of them have done any submissive squatting. Waaaahhh!

5. chickoletta

chickoletta Just Hatched

They aren't hiding eggs as far as I can tell, and I do look for yolk remnants in case they are eating. Maybe I'll check pelvic bones again on some of the others later today.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long have you had the supplemental lighting?

I have no idea where "Unincorporated Walnut Creek" is..might want to add more info there.

Chickens will teach you patience....or not. [​IMG]

7. Farmsomewife

Farmsomewife New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Greene County, PA
    try giving them some sour milk. it pulled mine out of molting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by