1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 11 week old chicks is there a way to tell their gender? I heard you can check their vents doe

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by painteddream, Mar 6, 2012.

1. painteddream

painteddream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Does anyone know how to check their vent?

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I think unless you really, really know what you're doing with vent checking you can injure their internal organs. But, apparently you can see a white nub in the vent if it's a boy.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    post pics of the chicks at this age gender should be fairly easy depending on breed. no need to vent sex anyone

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Vent checking can only be done within the first 48 hours of hatch, so it's not really an option anymore anyway.

By this age, they should be showing other signs, post pics and we'll give you our best educated guesses.

5. bigchiefhoho

bigchiefhoho Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Do you mean you have eleven 1-week old chicks, or some 11-week old chicks? Either way, they're too old for vent sexing, but if they're 11-week old they should be able to be differentiated visually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by