1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 12 hens and 3 rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by larleene100, Feb 6, 2011.

1. larleene100

larleene100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    I dont want but one rooster but i dont know what do do with the other 2. what do you think i should do with them? they are pretty old.

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Im not sure I could do it but, some people would suggest the stew pot. However, if that's not the way you want to go you could try offering them free on craigslist. Or even better maybe someone on here would be happy to regime a couple of roosters! Good luck!

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    You could always just eat them [​IMG] If you can [​IMG] But if not maybe you could rehomr them for free.

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    If they are really old, yeah, you could eat them but they would be yucky unless they are cooked long and low, like in a crockpot.

Or yeah, you could give them away on Craigslist. Or trade the two for a young(ish) hen or something non-chicken-related.

Good luck!

5. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    If they are that old and have remained with the same flock of others for many years I would most likely just hang onto them since it's tough for older animals to adapt to new places and people although they will get through it I hate to see them taken away from their family!

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Unless they are mean. I would keep them if it's only to teach young roos how to be good roos. A good roo is as good as gold. I've had a mean one so I know. [​IMG]

7. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

I dunno, I have eleven hens and three roosters. But I don't know if one counts as a rooster, he's blind in one eye from getting pecked and he usually hides behind the hens. [​IMG] You could probably keep the two, they'll be fine.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what you mean by pretty old, but they can be cooked at any age. There are many different recipes, but any of them that involves cooking at fairly low temperatures for long periods of time with moisture work great. I prefer chicken that has some age on it, but it does need to be cooked correctly.

If you don't want to eat them yourself, you can try to give them away, realizing they will probably be eaten. You can try Craigslist or maybe you can put up a sign at the local feed store. Many allow you to do that.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by