I have 2 14 week old ducks I caught them mating, should I separate them please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelly17, Apr 24, 2017.

1. shelly17

shelly17 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    My two 14 week old ducks were mating ,I also have duckling that are 6 weeks old paired with the total of 6 ducks 14 weeks, 10weeks.I didn't know they could mate that young. My question is should I separate them I don't want any of them hurt, new to ducks thanks

2. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    If they're about the same size they should be fine. If they weren't 'ready' then they wouldn't mate (hormones) but just make sure the drake isn't too rough or clumsy and that if they're mating it's not in a dangerous position (such as the hen's neck being pressed against something, like the edge of the pool, which our ducks used to do). Good luck. :)

3. shelly17

Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you so much for answering I appreciate it, I had no idea they could be ready so young.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Lol..;)... Sorry...They will mate lots..:)..How many Drakes and Hens?....If too many Drakes once they hit breeding age and season they can kill Hens if the ratio is not correct..:(...

Cheers!

5. shelly17

Feb 26, 2017
    I have 2 drakes and 4 hens, one of the drakes, the oldest is really mean to the younger one[​IMG] Will they be ok with this ratio? Thanks

6. chickens really

No..:)Sorry it won't work..You might need to separate the Drakes..;).......Breeding season is hormone high and Drakes fight..:(

Good luck..:)

7. shelly17

Feb 26, 2017
    If I put the drakes together I think the older one will hurt the younger one, is there anything else I can do? Thanks can I put the older one by himself but he's able to see everyone?

8. chickens really

Yes...Totally separate the males.....:)....Sorry i did not fully explain..:(

1 person likes this.
  9. shelly17

Feb 26, 2017
    Thank you I appreciate your help[​IMG]

10. chickens really

Your totally welcome..:)...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by