I have 2 batches of eggs arriving days apart. How can I incubate them?

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
I ordered 2 batches of silkie eggs (7 & 12) from 2 breeders online. Both were supposed to get here Friday. One breeder didn't even mail out til yesterday (Thursday). I probably won't even get this batch til Monday, or Saturday if Im very lucky. I searched everywhere online and can't find the answer. I read that you can store them but I don't have anywhere in my house with a constant colder temp. I'm not sure what to do. I know they have to settle about 12 hrs before incubation but if I get my batch today, like planned then the other batch on Monday....thats days apart. Can anybody tell me what I should do? I don't want to risk losing any of them. I am new on here and I am still trying to figure out whats what on this forum. Thanks for your help!!!

I just read on this because I have the same situation coming-a few days apart- <http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res32-qa.html>this was the website that helped me a little
thumbsup.gif

I just put them in there a couple of days apart. You have to have a seperate hatcher if you are going to do that. At day 18 take the first batch out and put them into a hatcher.

Thank You sonew for the link. I read over it but still have a problem. I don't have a place to store the first batch of eggs until the second batch comes. I have a 'cooler' room but the temp varies as it is drafty. I guess I should change my question to...."Can I incubate the first batch of eggs when I get them (after they settled) then 1-2 days later, put the 2nd batch in with the 1st batch to incubate? I have a feeling I am going to ruin one of the batches
sad.png

Thank you Candle98! I forgot to add that I am pretty new to owning chickens....and 1st time incubating. I am learning new things everyday. A hatcher is like a brooder right? A place where they go after they hatch? If I take the 1st set out at day 18, I would have to let them hatch in the 'hatcher'? How would I regulate the temp or humidity for those last few days?

I'm completely new like you -but totally addicted to this website-I can tell you my situation-a friend of mine and I used her incubator to hatch eggs-they were all-from different dates! 4 eggs hatched out last thursday-last night my 2 eggs hatched out!!! 1 week apart-when hers hatched out she left them in there until they were dry and put them in a brooder-she left the other ones in-it was that easy! I have 2 more in there that may or may not hatch in the next day or so-If you don't mess with opening your incubator too much-I may be wrong but I would put your first-room temp eggs in now-mark them all with a date and then when the others come-after lwtting them get to room temp put them in there...
hu.gif
-that's me and I'm new so if anyone out there wants to correct me please do
yippiechickie.gif

A hatcher is a seprate incubator with no turner, I'd wait till sun for the first batch, makr them with a pencil, when the second batch gets there, make them no 2. you can stop turning eggs at 15-16 days no problem, stop all at once, when hatched quickly take out dry chicks place in brooder, don't take them out one at a time take a group out. with opening the bator, you will slower down hatching but you should be fine.

An incubator gets really nasty very quickly as the chicks start to hatch the water is gooey with fuzz and sometimes pieces of shell and membrane. it will smell and begin to be a bacteria haven in two day.
You can put the eggs in any cooler with very little or no ice to keep them till the second batch arrive. Try to avoid setting a second batch with less then 4 days in between. The humidity is very important during the last three days and that would be different for the two sets of eggs.

You can make a hatcher very easily with a styrofoam ice chest, a light socket, I use the ones you buy at the hobby store that have multiple night light sockets. I use two night light bulbs and a lamp dimmer. It is controled with a slide. You plug the light string into the dimmer and the dimmer into the wall. No electrical wireing involved. You do need to monitor it very closely but with the night lights spikes in temperature are not radical. I have one of these set up right now. I have a week between my first set of eggs and the second. I have two incubators but I loaned on to a friend.

I really think the best bet will be to store the eggs in a closet and just turn them over once a day. I actually keep mine in the ice chest and I put a brick under one side then the other to make sure the eggs are rotated. Three days in storage anywhere between 50-60 degrees+ or- will be much easier and healthier that starting eggs then a second batch three days later.

Remember the hen, she lays eggs all year long is many cases, She lays up to 12 eggs and leaves the nest and the eggs to sit as they are in whatever temperature, then she will sit after this time. The guidlines we give on how to best hatch artificially are just that guidelines not rules set in stone. A varience in storage temp will not greatly affect your hatch. Some people store their eggs in the refrigerator and still hatch good chicks.

Back
Top Bottom