I have 2 birds that died. Dont know why?UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adorable, Jan 13, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    In the past 2 weeks i have 2 chickens pass away......I dont know why..[​IMG] . ...THey are all ok .Then i notice that they cant keep their heads up. THen when i check again. It is dead. But they are all eating ,scratching doing what chickens do. THen one will look a little odd. It walks around..at first it looks as if it is looking at the floor eating. But it nevers look up. DOes anyone know what this might be???ooh they are young ones. About 4 months old
    UPDATE>>>>I did buy new food from a different place. He said he dosnt sell this food very often at this time of year. So it was packed away. I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with it. I also feed my ducks the same food. It is grower.I have notice they are really not eating. But they are drinking lots ......I am getting worried. Is it my feed. Or is it just a fluke.......I did post this somewhere else. THey suggested to post here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    STOP feeding that stuff immediately! Clean the feeder and fill it with another feed. Could be moldy - which is really toxic.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Quote:I looked up someones else post on b?My bird looked just like that. But here where i am it isnt summer ...no dead animals or puddles anything like that. JUst a different food. I am sooooooo mad:mad::mad::mad:. WHen you trust the feed stores. THis happens. I am hopeing my ducks are going to be ok. I will tell in a couple of days.....They better be ok.
    I have another big bag of this stuff. What would you do?Would you bring it back to the feed store?If so,they will ask why ...Would you be honest and tell them.?

4. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    it wouldn't jurt to try and take it back. I would be honest, it sounds like a good reason for return to me.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:I looked up someones else post on b?My bird looked just like that. But here where i am it isnt summer ...no dead animals or puddles anything like that. JUst a different food. I am sooooooo mad:mad::mad::mad:. WHen you trust the feed stores. THis happens. I am hopeing my ducks are going to be ok. I will tell in a couple of days.....They better be ok.
    I have another big bag of this stuff. What would you do?Would you bring it back to the feed store?If so,they will ask why ...Would you be honest and tell them.?

Oh yeah, I'd tell them, all right. Any good feed store wants to know! And if they're good, they'll appreciate you told them, too.

But, in the meantime, get some other feed - as new and fresh as possible - and feed your animals! If they've been avoiding the bad feed, they are Hungry. Their immune systems need support right now. I'd deal with the feed store, later. My immediate goal would be to change the feed right away, and give the birds some probiotics (like yogurt, kefir, ACV, etc), electrolytes and some supplemental vitamins. You could offer the supplements and probiotics in a special treat. And make sure their water is really fresh.

6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thank you ,,,I will do that. But in the meantime. I am a worry about my 2 scovies. I guess they must of new. Because they barely eaten it. I guess that is a good thing at this point. What do i give them now. I am limited to crack corn and laying mash. Because of time of year. Or i can go to a local farmer and get mixed grain. What do i give them now. And goes for the water. They get warm fresh water every day. What do i put in their water?Or nothing at this point?
    Does any one know how long it take to get to high of toxin in a bird like this. I guess bigger or heavier they are ...More than can take before it affects that animal......The reason ,because it was the smallest that went ....The larger in the group seams ok so far. Knock on wood.....I am calling the feed store in the morning about this. [​IMG].

7. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Good luck, hope no other chicks get sick.

8. trinacliff

trinacliff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I hope the rest are ok...and I agree, I would definitely let the feed store know. Let us know how the others fare!

Fingers crossed for you and them!

Kristen

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try to find a new feed store that has a high turnover of products.

10. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    update.....I called the feed store. Explain the situation to him...He had no problem taking it back. Including the open bags. He said he is going to check in to it. And he apolagize.....I was happy:D

AND the ducks are eating again. I gave them some scratch....They were really hungry. They new the food was bad.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by