I have 2 broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofdrew, Jan 4, 2009.

1. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 oldest silkies have gone broody together... [​IMG] this will be the first time....one is on the egg and the other is laying right next to her...only one egg under her but had 2 eggs in another nest earlier today my question is should I let them hatch a chick in the winter????? What should I do??? how long does it take???I have read that they will not leave the nest...how do you get them to eat and drink... [​IMG] I need help [​IMG]

2. chicklet

chicklet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    I will be waiting to see the replies to your question. I have 4 hens that want to sit right now. There are no eggs under any of them and two are snuggled together. I simply take them off the nests a couple times a day so they eat and drink but it is surely not enough. It will be a long winter with nesting hens and no eggs!

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    1st. you do have a rooster right ? if so , collect fertilized eggs from other laying hens . and put at least 6 eggs under each of them .... Mark your eggs with pencil or magic marker . I always put the date due to hatch on the egg and 21 days later you have beautiful baby chicks ...

I always moved my broody into private quarters ... I have a 6 ft. cage especially for that . that way no other hen or rooster disturbs her ....

I had decided to do this when one of my broody's got off her nest to eat and drink and another hen jumped in her nest to lay . NO NO NO .... I did not want her eggs broken , so I took the nesting box with the pine shavings and eggs and put into the brooder cage , Placed the hen in on the nest with plenty of food and water really close by her . She was one happy little setter and made an excellent mommy

4. momofdrew

should I move her into the house while she hatches??? it is normally 10F here sometimes warmer and sometimes much colder she only has 1 egg the other eggs this morning were already cold so I put them in the ref...

5. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:take them back out of the frig , leave room temp. for like 24 hrs. and place under her .... You sure don't want to just have her hatching 1 egg ... She wants to be a real mommy . Put her at least 6 eggs . 21 days for the eggs to hatch

I would move her inside if its that cold . maybe utility room .

6. momofdrew

thanks we have a large dog kennel tht we can bring in will it disturb her if I move her and the egg??? will she abandon it???

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:NO , I moved both my broody's .... and they went right back to the nest .

PLEASE put her more than just 1 egg .... You never know when that 1 single egg might not hatch right . [​IMG]

I had a black austolorp and I put 6 eggs under her and 6 unde my little english game bantam , naturally the larger the breed the more eggs you can put . the hen spreads out to cover the eggs , and you do not need to worry about rolling the eggs , she does it all . [​IMG] WHAT KIND OF HEN is she ?

8. momofdrew

she is a little white silkie

9. momofdrew

what will the others do??? will they look for her???

Ok I brought her in but she doesnt seem to want to settle back on the egg...though she is drinking a lot

10. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    try putting 4 or 5 OR MAYBE EVEN MORE .... you might be surprised at how many she can set on . they do SPREAD OUT.

My little game bantam is also considered small and she hatched 6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by