I have 2 drakes and was wondering.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlady08, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have one Khaki Campbell drake named Maxwell and 1 Cayuago drake named Martin. I want to get them some girls this spring but I don't how many is a good number for each of them. I want to get some Khaki ducks and some Cayuago ducks. I plan on getting them from Metzgers farms. Are these good quality breed and not the same as the hatchery type?

What is the male to female ratio so I have enough for them both?

Thanks

Lisa

2. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    You have to get them from METZER FARMS I GOT MY 3 MALE MALLARD DUCKLINGS TODAY AND THERE RUNNING AROUND CRASHING IN TO THEMSELVES AND JUST HAVING A GOOD OLE TIME!!!!! [​IMG] The ratio is 1 male to 2 female! HOPE YOU HAVE FUN!!!!

3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Oh I bet they are so sweet. It sure sounds like that you are having lots of fun with your little babies.
    Could I have more females or just get like 2 for each of them making it 4 girls. I want lots of ducks. I didn't think that I could love anything as much as my chickens, but my geese and drakes are awesome.

Thanks and I will definitely get them from Metzer's Farms then this spring.

Thanks

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Metzer sells very healthy ducks, but they do not always look like they are supposed to. They are hatchery ducks.

That being said, I do like Metzer because you can order small quantities and you can get the ducklings sexed so you know exactly what you are getting. I have 2 Metzer Welsh Harlequins and they are awesome. [​IMG]

If you want the higher quality/more to breed standard ducks, get them from Holderread's.

5. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:I have heard about Holderreads before and order his book of Geese when I got my goshlings in May.

I don't plan on breeding for selling I just want to hopefully get some healthy ducks and geese that hopefully may have issues like hatchery chickens is all.

thank you

Oh the Welsh Harlequins are beautiful also. I also like the Appleyard ducks also.

6. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    We originally had two male runners and decided to get them some girls, but since we couldn't get too many (well, I wasn't allowed to get too many [​IMG] [​IMG]) we got 4 females, so 1 male to 2 females.

In general the ratio would normally be 1 male to 3 females since drakes are very active, and I've heard that runners are especially frisky and can handle up to around 5 females per male, but with yours I think two of three per male would be good [​IMG]

It all depends what you want out of getting females - if you want fertile eggs, keep it to two or three per male so that the drake is able to 'service' all of the ducks successfully. If you just want eggs to eat or just want lots of ducks, get more females than that! [​IMG]

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Thank you. I do beleive that Khaki Campbells go broody and I definitely want some fertile eggs for them to hopefully hatch, but oh how I really want lots and lots of ducks.

Thanks again.

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Khakis aren't known for their broody skills. Occasionally it does happen, but it isn't the norm. Same with runners.

9. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Oh shucks, I must have them mixed up with other ducks. I have had a Red Star chicken and. White Leghorn go broody so maybe it will happen. Lol

If not I will have to buy more babies each year. [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can always slip those duck eggs under a broody chicken. The only problem with that is mom will freak out the first time the babies hop in to the closest water container. Other than that chickens make good foster moms [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by