I have 2 Embden that I got in May and......

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenlady08, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I got these as goshlings and am still unsure of if they are male or female. They are both pretty large. I will try to post some pictures. We are buried in snow right now and I broke my foot so it is hard for me to go out there on crutches. I will send my son out there to take some pictures so I can post.

Well my question is when I find out if I have girls or boys or both boys or both girls, what is the ratio for boys to girls. I want to get some goshlings in the Spring for them but just not sure of what sex to get.

Thanks

Lisa

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just read this, Emden ganders can be bred with 3to4 females, that is to say they can breed that many, but my Emden gander is so attached to his mate [a muscovy duck] that he doesn't have time for anyone else. So I guess it depends on the gander.

3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Aww Miss Lydia

How sweet that he is attached to your duck! I wonder if what ever gender I have be it male/female, male/male, female/female. They prob won't breed either. lol They are insperable also.

they both have the pouch in their abdomen, and one seems a fraction taller than the other.

Better get some mixed up sexes this spring. I just don't want to rock the boat and cause a bunch of fighting or anything.

Thank you

Lisa

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My duck hatched out my goose so he only knows ducks, he has never been around any geese. Well we did have a couple Canadian geese stop over last spring, all my ducks and my gander acted like stuck ups. They sure have a strong bond with each other, My goose acts like a duck at times and my duck has taken to acting like a goose. They've rubbed off on each other. I don't know what will happen when he looses his mother. She's going on 7 yrs now.

5. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Miss Lydia

My locally owned livestock supply owner is really knowledgable with chickens and geese and ducks. He told me where my geese have been raised with my chickens they wont bond with any geese that come in the future. I am glad you reminded me of that, cause I would hate to not have all of them flock together.

You have some pretty special ducks esp your Momma duck. Wow that is so sweet. Does ur goose have any other friends she chums around with. He/she will be heartbroken and I hope that momma lives a long long time.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You know my goose Sammy, when he was in his first year and running around like a nut he actually had another duck that he liked and would get in the pool with her, but In the last year he and Mom have pretty much kept to themselves, well they are in the same fenced area with all the ducks but he is so protective of Mom that he'll make the other girls get away. I have 2 drakes and he will make them move off also. Noone is allowed to be around Alice, My drakes and Sammy use to get into some pretty heated fights, I had them all separated at one time, but now it's like okay you can have Alice we'll take the rest.lol. So hopefully since Sammy could live to be 30yrs or more that Alice will be around for quite awhile longer, She seems to be in great health. Just thinks she's some kind of Queen....[​IMG] never a dull moment as you so well know.

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Oh wow, nice story. Geese can live for 30 years. Wow that is awesome. Never thought I would love anything as much as my chickens. Geese and my ducks are right there with my chickies.

Love your story of how protective Sammy is of Alice. Love the names also

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like our son will be taking over Sammys care after a while. I just read tonight of someone who had a goose that is 34 yrs old. Pretty neat huh. Even with his disposition and wanting to bite me he's still has a big place in my heart, they are neat animals. You ought to see my little Banty Roo chase him away from the feed it's hilarious. Sammy throws his wings out and runs for his life. lol and I don't believe the roo has ever touched him, my big drake ducks are afraid of him also.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a kid I had a gander who was imprinted on me. I was his mother/father/flock. He was the only goose on the place and ignored all other fowl. When he was three or four years old, I bought 6 goslings. Within days he adopted the goslings and forgot that I was supposed to be his everything. He mated with one of the geese from this group (the other five became dinner), and I had them another six or seven years. When I got married and my parents sold their place, he and his mate went to a farm. I don't know how the story of Gus the Goose ended. If you get more goslings the two geese will most likely adopt them.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats a cute story sourland, and nice to know they can find love, Maybe theres hope for Sammy after his mommie goes on, They are tender hearted thats for sure. I am hoping to get some American Buff one of these years, but I would probably get another Emden for Sammy since thats what he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by