I have 2 escape artists

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknhawaii, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    You know, I must say that I thought my Red-Sex-Links were going to be mellow girls. However, I've been concerned about Tallulah from the start b/c she's the precocious, outgoing, adventurous, seemingly fearless one while Sienna is quite content to just be LOUD and follow.

Well now that they are outside for most of the day in a VERY makeshift coop area with Chick-Chick, I have been shown that she's an extremely excellent escape artist as well as a high-flyer. AUGH! [​IMG] Every time I go check, there she is, looking at me from outside the coop area. Usually Sienna is still inside. [​IMG] But she's learning!

Chick-Chick chases them and so far they've eluded her. I have Chick-Chick out free-ranging now so there have been no escapes. YET. [​IMG]

Ah these chicks...what can you do... [​IMG]

2. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    maybe you should rename her "who" as in.... who-dinni. [​IMG] i can just see her eye balling you from outside where she's supposed to be. lol

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    If she can get out, preditors can get in! Spend the money on better fencing, and a top. I know Hawaii doesn't have wild preditors but there are still dogs and cats there and they are preditors! Dogs will kill for sport. Cats catch and play with their wounded prey. Your big hens might be safe but little ones will not be. Good luck!

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I think my sanity will go before any predators get into our fenced yard LOL!!!!! [​IMG]

Either way, I need to get something better up. It's called the "ok it's good", find out later someone's escaped, adjust and add-on, "ok it's good", repeat. [​IMG] Ah well, it's a learning experience and Thursday will prob be head to the hardware store day.

p.s. They are ALL asleep outside. Tallulah and Sienna are in their *closed* brooder box inside the coop lol!

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have two Turkens always trying to dig their way out of their run. It looks like all these little underground tunnels. I have named their pen Stalag 17.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by