1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 2 hens that are always together. 1 is dying.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scungilli, May 2, 2016.

1. scungilli

scungilli Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Hello all. I am so upset. We have 2 hens and 1 will be put down tonight. They are inseparable. BFF"S. Now my large Barred rock "Monster"will be alone and I'm assuming very sad. She does everything with Red by her side. Now what? Can I put her with my 5 bantam hens? They have never been together. I'm afraid she would hurt them. Please help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have seen my hens get depression when a close friend dies. She may or may not react that way. You could pen her next to your bantam for a few weeks than see how she gets along with them.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Excellent suggestion^^^

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    sadness will not make her friendly. I agree, put them by each other and see.

5. scungilli

scungilli Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I thought my rhode Island red by now would have passed but she is still walking around with her head down. I have tried everything to help her. her abdomen is swollen. I drained it soaked her in warm baths. check for egg inside. gave her antibiotic. When do you say it's time to put her down?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If it appears to be suffering, than it's time. If you are wondering if it's behavior indicates suffering than it probably is. I give mine a week to improve, most sick chickens don't get better.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed - I'd put her down if she were mine. Sometimes the hardest thing for us is the kindest thing for our animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by