1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 2 Khaki Campbell ducks and was wondering.......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlady08, Oct 28, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    They were the last 2 ducks (which were 3 1/2 weeks old) they had for the year. Of course I didn't know if they were boy or girl. I have noticed that besides growing super fast. WOW! but now one has a green beak/bill and the other is not green. Does anyone know if the green billed one is a boy, also is bigger than the other one.

Does anyone know? I will try to get some pictures but it is hard for me right now because I broke my foot on October 4 and will have surgery next Friday.

Thanks

Lisa

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

With most domestic ducks you see a color difference in their bills once old enough. The females tent to be on the brown side, while the males have greenish tints. It's a little bit early for your ducks to tell for sure. In about 4 weeks you should see a clear voice change. The girl will quack while the boy sounds like he has a sore throat.

3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    There is definitely a difference in the bills for sure. One is greenish and one is brown. I got them in August and they were almost 1 month old then and I have had them since then, so they are around 3 months old give or take. The one with the greenish bill is larger than the one with the brown bill. Kinda hear a difference in their voices as well. Squeaky and quacky.

I am excited that I probably have a boy and a girl. Talk about luck when they were the last 2 and WOW, excited to possibly having babies one day is great.

Thanks

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Oh, and I thought they were only 3.5 weeks old right now. Well, at 3 months your know for sure. Clearly a boy and girl. He should already have a small or being close to getting a curly feather near his tale.

5. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh great, I haven't looked for a curly tail feather but I will look tonight when I go out to close them up.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by