1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 2 pips- Updates- More pips of new chicks- need help identifying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NurseNettie, Jun 20, 2008.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    OK. This is my second hatch--- (first with the new Hovabator Genesis!)
    First hatch was in a Little Giant, with eggs that the post office used as kickballs.
    I set 14 RIR eggs on June 1, and 6 mixed eggs about 16 hours later. Today, being day 18/17 (well, now that it's after midnight-- it's 19/18) -- I was planning to take the automatic turner out first thing tomorrow morning- figuring I'd be almost on time for one set, just a bit over on the other--
    I decided to take a peek just before bed ( it's now 1:12 am here) and I've got 2 pips out of my RIR eggs!!! [​IMG]

So, I quickly took them from the turner, and set them in the egg cartons (that I had sitting ready just next to the bator) and popped them right back in. I know I may have disturbed them, but I didn't want to leave the turner in-- because I'll be sleeping soon (ya..right!! now that I have pips,I dunno about that!) and don't want anyone getting hurt.
    Hopefully by morning I"ll have some new additions to the family to add to the 4 week old chicks!
    Wish me luck!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Congrats on the pips...And, i hope everything will go okay [​IMG]

3. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Thanks!! Seeing them was like a shot of caffeine-- I can't sleep... I'm going to try now, but not sure if I can!

4. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Congrats with the pips and hope everything goes well with your hatch!! This is my second hatch as well, and my first hatch is 3 1/2 weeks old! Hoping you get some sleep tonight! Ya right, I know I'm not!! [​IMG] I have 2 chicks halfway out and 15 pips [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh Boy, Mamaboyd--- Now I have to go and check them-- maybe I have more, LOLOL

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Any more pips?? [​IMG]

7. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I got up all excited- hoping for something-- but nothing yet.. I'm glad I went to sleep [​IMG]
    The 2 pips I have seem to have gotten bigger, and I could see some shadow and movement at one of them. I just had to walk away and let them be-- but not before pics of the pips (since there's no chicks to photograph yet!)
    [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It can take them 24 hours or longer to progress from a pip. Congrats!

9. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'm still holding tight and being a very good and patient lady!!! Today is only day 19, so I figured they'd hatch slowly. I got 3 more pips right in a row late this afternoon/ up until about half an hour ago. Thankfully, I've got a lot to get done today-- as DH has been gone out of state to work all week, and is coming home with his son who'll spend the summer-- and it's my first day off all week-- so, I've been busy and staying away from the 'bator-- except for cleaning breaks where I'm sitting there with the flashlight inspecting every egg in there !!!!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Come on chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by