I have 2 questions about fresh eggs if anyone can help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blr8t2, Feb 16, 2013.

1. blr8t2

blr8t2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    First off I have 14 hens and only one was laying so I knew where the egg came from. Then eventually one more started laying, each had a different color egg so i still knew. Well, it got SUPER cold here in CO a month or so back and lo and behold, hens that hadn't laid in MONTHS were laying again. It's still cold but now I am up to 7 eggs a day, so again I have no idea who is laying, who isn't and which egs belong to who. Ok so the easy question is this. One of them lays eggs with red spots on them. At first i thought it was blood speckles cause they are a deep blood red, light brown egg. If a hen is supposed to lay speckled eggs do those specks scrub off? I ask because my specks can be scrubbed off and I need to know if it's blood or supposed to be there, as I sell the eggs and don't want people grossing out. The other question makes me gag ugh. About 1 in every 2 dozen eggs or so that I know of (cause like I said i sell them) I break open an egg that is odd. It kind of sticks to the shell, and the yolk has it's regular color and mixed with it, what looks like partially cooked yolk. I wish I had a picture, it's hard to explain. But when you crack open 3 or 4 eggs in a bowl and they are normal, then you crack one of these, it makes you want to toss the whole bowl! But I just scoop the icky one out and toss it. We have never been sick from our eggs. Like i said it is still cold and i doubt it gets about 45-50 in the coop at full sun, so they aren't cooking. Far as i know they aren't freezing as i check for eggs many times a day, but once in a while I do get one that feels cold. They aren't old either. i have seen weeks old infertile incubated eggs look better than these fresh ones!!! So if anyone knows what I'm talking about, what causes this?? I won't have many repeat customers if they crack one of these motly eggs open!

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I do know that the dark pigment on the shells of a Welsummer can be wiped off easily if you get the egg shortly after it has been laid. The dark speckles are the last thing deposited on the egg before it is laid. I don't know if you have Welsummers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens with other egg layers too. My Barred Plymouth Rock hens lay pretty pinkish brown eggs. Every once in awhile I get these pinkish brown eggs with purplish spots on them. I figure it is the BPRs becuause the underlying tint is the same color as their regular eggs.

Stumped on the other questions though. Hopefully someone with more experience will help you out.

3. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    Not sure about your problem egg. Do you know which egg it is before you crack it ?
    When cracking eggs for a recipe, I only do one at a time in a small bowl. Then add that egg to the big bowl. Crack the next egg and repeat. I never crack the eggs in the big bowl with other ingredients.

I get a few eggs that I can wipe the color off of. I mean like darker brown on a already brown egg. And that only happens if I notice the egg is dirty and I have to clean it. We use sawdust in the boxes so that helps a lot to keep eggs clean.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. blr8t2

May 27, 2012
    No I never know which egg it's going to be, not even sure if it's from the same hen. Next time I will take a picture and pay more attention to the shell. Freaks me out a bit and I toss it and cover it up lol. The specks aren't dirt, they just look like part of the egg coloring. And I do notice if I have to scrub an egg the tan does come off so maybe the spots are fine. They are a matte brownish color dry, but when wet they turn a brick/blood red. I looked up Welsummer and don't have those, but perhaps one of them is a mix. The eggs are light brown, tannish not chocolate like the Welsummer. I got most of them from some people giving their flock away to start fresh. Was gonna cull non egg-layers after winter passed but now they are laying again so will have to figure out who is going to stay lol. I have a barred plymouth rock as well and her eggs are darker than the speckled egg, so who knows. I'm so confused lol.

5. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    I sell my extra eggs, so I am always on the lookout for the odd one.
    I had one hen laying a whitish one, that was very rough /course on the outside. It finally got better. I kept that one back for the house eggs and never had a problem with it. It just was different enough. Like a sandpaper feel to it.

Pics would be good when you get the next odd one.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. blr8t2

May 27, 2012
    I have had 3 with ripples, like a desert landscape after a good strong wind lol does that make sense. Very odd but uniquely pretty too. nothing wrong inside. Poor hen though! The first time I got one with extra calcium balls on it I freaked and thought it was some sort of worm eggs or something but no, just extra calcium balls! Most of the time they wipe right off. Ok i wont be so squeamish next time and toss the icky egg before i take a picture. I never even get a good look at it, I just dispose as fast as I can and hope my aunt, neighbors or anyone else gets one like that, it's a huge turn off. Maybe I can find one online like it. I will look.

7. faeryrose

faeryrose Out Of The Brooder

One of my Rhode Island Reds lays eggs with speckles. I wouldn't worry about those.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My speckles always wash right off. So does the darker color on dark brown eggs. It's natural, just the egg color, not blood.

Sounds like one of your hens has a glitch in her system. You might have to isloate hens to find out who is laying the icky egg, and decide if you need to cull her or keep her seperate so you don't sell her eggs by mistake.

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    One thing to mention here...I've read in several articles that you are best off NOT washing your eggs. The egg has a natural germ barrier on its surface that keeps germs from penetrating the egg. When you wash, especially if you scrub an egg, you destroy that protective layer. If the egg is dirty, you can wash it right before you use it, but it is best not to do so and then put it in a carton for a few days before eating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by