I have 2 white hens with green ear feathers. Does anyone know breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cheep, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    I received them at 2 months from my daughter when she moved, & she doesn't know.
    Also, what do you call those things that look like sideburns or feathery ears?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Ear tufts. Sounds like you have Araucanas.

3. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thank you; I have just spent almost an hour looking at Google Images of "chicken faces" & haven't seen any green tufts.
    I hope they are Aracuanas [​IMG] If I get any blue eggs, I will post here.

4. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA

My chickens have lime-green, very small & stiff ear tufts

5. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    These green things where ear tufts might be, are visible in this picture (if you squint)
    [​IMG]

6. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    [​IMG]

Here they are in whole-body.

I am now guessing Leghorn because of the single comb, & the green things may be attenuated somethings?

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] that green thing isn't green that is her ears it is a white color and the white smooth spot is her earlobe.She's a white leghorn that is still very young.As she gets close to pol(point of lay) her comb and wattles will grow big and her comb will flop she will lay xl to jumbo size white eggs every day
    Not all white single comb chickens are leghorns...see it nearly every day on this board.There are lots of single combed red eared brown laying breeds out there.Leghorns always have white earlobes no matter how often people try to say theirs has red,body shape is lean and petite with a pointy tail as my kids call it...the pointy chickens,yellow legs and plenty of comb and wattles! Hens combs flop the roos stand straight.
    We love our legs here..we had them in all colors they come in but sold most because they don't lay very big eggs compared to the white and brown but we did keep my silver flock as well.

8. Cheep

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    OK HBuehler, but my grandkids asked me, "what are these green things?" & when I look, they still look green to me, a light lime-green.
    I am glad to know the breed, thanks for your reply.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes the white ear lobes on leghorns can have a shiny greenish sheen on them, it's normal. They are officially white though. Congrats on two leghorn's, they lay eggs like mad.

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] yes they can have funny tints of color they are funny birds they are very nosy and if you free range one of the first to find out what your doing but try to catch one and you had better be in shape..if you do then they become very calm in your arms with little protest.People call them flighty I call them smart they are the only breed that we have not lost to wild animals at one time or another. Here is one of my ladies..you won't see this very often they are a non sitting breed.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by