I have 26 chicks > 10days old & 5 six month old BR pullets - question:

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have 26 new chicks. Once they are feathered out, they will be raised in the brand new coop & run we have nearly completed.

I already have 5 Barred Rocks that are 6 months old. They are in an older, smaller coop.

Ultimately, I want all of these fools together in one coop/run.

At what point should I move the older girls in with the young girls? Should I expect murder and mayhem?

I'm hoping the ratio of 26 young ones to 5 older ones will allow the younger ones to not take a terrific beating...plus I'm thinking the younger ones will have the "home-field" advantage.

I really am desperate for input/advice/guidance from anyone and everyone.

Thanks, in advance!

Last edited:
15 weeks is no problem! Do you think the fact that they outnumber the older girls by 5 to 1 will put them at an advantage?

Am I still going to have a nightmare on my hands when I move the 5 girls in at 15 weeks?

can they see each other,is the new coop close enough ? before you put them in together, I think that would help a lot
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Well, the babies are still inside the barn in their brooder...and will probably remain there until they are 4 weeks old.

Here is our new coop/run:
DSC_0003Large-1.jpg

You can just see the older/smaller coop in the top right hand portion of the picture just beyond the wood privacy fence. I'm hoping my husband and I will be able to move the older, smaller coop into the yard of the new coop/run...but it's going to be a big ordeal.

In addition to the privacy fence you see (which we will be taking down) there is a 6 foot high chain link fence. We have to remove the chain link from the post and roll it back...then move the old/small coop in. My husband is a saint! I'm really grateful for him!

I agree with the other posts. I would wait until they are close to the same size. When mine were about 20 weeks old I switched them around and put the hens in the pullets coop and the pullets in the hens coop and separate runs for a week then let them out together. Now they all go into the same coop and roost together.

Last edited:
Quote:
...at a standstill - I got sick on Friday night
sad.png
and missed work today. I had planned on painting this weekend while my husband put up the roosts. It's all on hold until next weekend (hopefully, my husband won't come down with this...or we'll be on hold again!).

Thanks for taking the time to ask! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom