I have 3 hens and a borrowed rooster...now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lakebay Farmers, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Lakebay Farmers

Lakebay Farmers New Egg

Aug 28, 2008
    I borrowed a neighbors rooster to see if we could hatch chicks instead of buying them this year. The hens are laying but no one is sitting on their eggs yet. Will it just take time? What do I do, if anything?

2. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    You cant make a hen go broody. Some breeds never sit, because it has been bred out of them.
    What breeds do you have and how old are they? If they are broody breeds you will just have to hope for the best and see if anyone goes broody on you.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    You could put some fake eggs in a nest, maybe 5 or 6, and just leave them there. In some hens, seeing several eggs in a nest will trigger a hormone shift. This is not extremely common, but happens with some of the broodier types. Corn is supposed to increase body heat, which ca also trigger broodiness. (don't feed corn exclusively, just give them a couple handfuls as a treat a couple of times a day.) What breed(s) are your hens? Are they even broody types?

If not, you may want to get an incubator. That will cost more than buying some chicks, even if you build your own, probably, (unless you have most of the parts/materials already, or can scrounge and salvage, one of my favorite things to do) but you get to use it over and over, and you'd have the option of hatching chicks any time of year.

4. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I did not think we would ever see one of our hens go broody, but Saturday one finally decided that she wanted to set! She now has four eggs under her that I gave her Sunday! Be patient if you have one of the broody breeds. We have a small flock of cochins for setting.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If the rooster is doing his thing, you can always gather the eggs for a week and put them in an incubator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by