I have 3 questions; when will my hen(s) lay & ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buhbuhz24, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Buhbuhz24

Buhbuhz24 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have 2 questions!
    Question 1; When will my hen(s) lay?

Question2; How can i tell if my chickens are male or female?
    I just got 2 chickens today to keep in the backyard, but the farm at which we purchased the two, told us that they are too young to tell.
    I don't mind if we end up with a rooster out of the two, but i want atleast one to be a hen. So we can get eggs & possibly chicks [​IMG]

Question 3; Is it okay to take the chickens out in the morning at around 8 am (or should it be earlier?) and then put them back
    in the coop at around 7 pm? ( there is still daylight left )

Thank you, much appreciated. Lol, I have many more questions..

2. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    If you post pictures you will have plenty of people giving you there opinions of the sex of your chickens, ages, and how close to laying they may be!!!

3. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    i agree we need pics to tell but i would worry most about the hawks when they are out espiecially sence they are young? and how big do you estimate they are?

<3 lucyboo

4. Buhbuhz24

Jul 13, 2011
    Okay, I'll definitely post some pictures.. soon! Tomorrow, since I just put them in the coop. But I estimate them to be.. hmm about the size of a adult barred rock female? The orange ones tall though.. I think the orange one is male since (s)he charges at nothing flaps her/his wings a couple time while charging and fluffing the feathers on the neck, he/she also likes to protect and follow the hen (i'm pretty sure the other ones a hen) around! It's kinda cute actually. But there will be pictures up tomorrow for sure! (If i can figure out how to put the pictures up) lol

5. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    First of all [​IMG] second enjoy the ride..... More info needed age and breed would help alot.... answers 1. that depends on the breed any where from 16 to 24 weeks 2. Pics will help signs to look for bigger wattles and combs flashey neck and head feathers and watch for the tail feathers to roll over instaed of pointing toward the sky.... But also depends on breed. My sexlink Roo who was supposed to be a pullet. at about 6 weeks really started to get alot bigger than the other sexlinks and started to get alot of color and than came the huge wattle and comb.... 3.I let mine out between 7 and 8 but I have 14 and they get pretty croweded in the coop if they dont get out. and they usually put them selves away about 7:45 and its always the same hen in there first One of my Black sexlinks.....I just think she wants to pick her spot on the roost. If you can post some pics somebody will help you out good luck

6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    ?1 about 6+ months, ? 3 If they free rage durring the day they can be let out at 8 (it is 10 sometimes here) they put them selves to bed when they are ready ( 9:30 summer 7:00 winter in Wa)

7. Buhbuhz24

Jul 13, 2011
    Tenmore; Thanks for the welcome :) I've already become addicted to this site! & okay pictures= more help! Gotchaa, I'll upload tomorrow afternoon (or a little later)
    Dingleberry; Thank you, i usually put the chickens away since they don't put themselves away, they always avoid the coop and make me hunt them down and wrestle with them until they decide to give up. I think that they think it's funny to play chase -___- well atleast I get my workout for the evening, Hahahaha!

Oh the orange chicken (that i think is male) is an orpington! :)
    the other chicken... well I'm not quite sure?? But when I post pics maybe you guys can help me to discover the breed
    description; she's a reddish brownish looking chicken with white specks all over.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi and welcome,

When you reach 10 posts you will be able to post pictures.

I don't know how hot it is where you are, or if you have good ventilation in your coop. If it is safe to do so, put them on Coop Lock Down for four or five days(don't let them out). This will reset their homing instinct and they will automatically go to the coop at night.

I have done this twice and it works very well.

Ron

9. Buhbuhz24

Jul 13, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome! [​IMG]
    And okay, i'll try putting them in 'coop time out' or 'lock down' , i like to call it time out because they're really eager to come out , lol
    But I have one more question...
    How do I find my post that I posted yesterday?

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>
    When logged in, click on profile at the top. Under user activity, click on all posts.

Good luck!

Ron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by