I have 33 Chickens 7.75 sq ft enough room per bird !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gottalovemychickens, Sep 5, 2009.

1. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Just as the title says is 7.75 sq ft enough room for 33 chickens in their coop ?

There is also 500sq ft to free range , and the way the coop is built i have 500sq ft sections to free range on , on the north , south , east and west side

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Do you mean per chicken, or total?

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you consider the body size of a black australorp would occupy just under 2sq ft, you will only get 3 1/2 birds in that space.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I thought it was 4 sq ft per bird making that not enough room for 2 standard hens. Maybe the . is in the wrong place [​IMG]

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ok, 7.75 square feet per chicken would be a really big coop, if you mean 7.75 square feet per bird.

Or do you mean 7.75 feet square, i.e. about 8 feet on a side? That would be a little less than 2 square feet per chicken and would be too small.

How much time they'll be spending outside makes a big difference too.

Hope this helps, come back and calculate for us.

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Each standard, laying hen needs 4 sq. feet of inside space and 10 sq. feet of run space. Bantams two feet less per bird. [​IMG]

If you only have inside space (no run) then the coop needs to allow each chicken 10 sq. feet or you may experience problems such as feather picking or cannibalism. [​IMG]

If this space is for meat chickens you can use half that space but at least 4 sq. feet per bird. I personally believe since they are giving their little life for our dinner table they should get a bit more space and be allowed some outdoor space too. [​IMG]

7. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    No, it will not work. If they are too crammed in, they will definitely be stressed and start feather pecking, etc.

8. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

oh wow i didnt re read what i said LOL .

Yes total right now i have 7.75sq ft per chicken. LOL i know i cant fit 33 chickens in 7.75 sq ft LOL

But Yes i have 7.75 SQ FT PER BIRD ! Thats with 33 chickens

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If that's total space (coop plus run), it is really too crowded to be a good bet.

If that is just indoors, and they have like 2-3x as much run space, or will free range (sorry, I should remember your other posts but after a while things all sort of swish together in my head [​IMG]) then 7-8 sq ft per hen indoors is pretty decent quarters [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    They should have about 4 sq. feet inside, and 10 sq. feet outside. (thats what I have read.)

But if they are outside alot you can get away with slightly smaller quarters inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by