i have 3keeping chickens in the yard?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooby, Oct 13, 2009.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I have 3 chickens (2 hens/1 roo) that have been raised together, and they are they're own little herd!! but they fly the coop early each morning and the last couple days i'v found them 2-3 houses down running around their back yards. our backyard is semi fenced with a opening but no gate. my other girls i dont have a problem with just them three! i plan on clipping there wings but is there something i can do to train them to stay in our back yard and not wonder so far??? thanks for the help!!

2. slf_fry

slf_fry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Loveland,Ohio
    My 3 hens have been doing the same thing. It started 2 days ago and they are all over the yard. DH is putting up a higher fence on the deck side of the yard. They are driving me crazy! They are 22 weeks old and not yet laying. Not sure if it the colder days, nearer to laying or a full moon:barnie

Good Luck

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Somebody told us "clip one wing, then they can only fly in circles and don't get up very high. By the time the feathers come back in, the chickens don't bother to try anymore, they're used to being on the ground". Also, they said some breeds are prone to ranging far from home.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good fences (and gates) make good neighbors. They may be irritating your neighbors as well as endangering themselves. I recommend confining them.

I used to let mine free range, but they wandered all over! Finally had to build a run, and it was a good thing I did- just in time, because a pack of feral dogs came through a day later!

5. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    the hens are leghorns the roo is white rock, cutting the wings hopefully will stop them from flying the coop, but i do let them free range alot and i dont want them thinkin they can just go where they please!!!

6. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    o and i live in rural utah where nobody has fenced yards!!!

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Would it be cruel to put bells around their ankles? Or little weights?

I am just kidding, really.

Our rosecomb bantam hen used to fly all the way up to the top of our house to crow! That's when she was young. Now she almost never flies. We never clipped anybody's wings, they just grew out of it. But they ARE fat little chickens......maybe they're just too fat to fly.....

8. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 pullets that flew into the next door neighbors yard the other day. I clipped 1 wing and they havent flew over the fence since. White egg chickens are more prone to do this. But mine are Dominiqhes they are young and will gain weight. Leghorms, Buttercops, Andulusions, Anconas, all mederatean breeds are flyers, Games fly better than them. American, Asian and most English breeds dont fly as good.

9. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    bells sound good to me!!!!
    they are still young about 30 weeks but i want to correct the problem though.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Quote:Ummm- let me see if I have this correct!

1. There is no gate to stop them from wandering off, onto the property of neighbors.
    (Legal issues are a potential problem there.)
    2. Nobody in the area has a fenced yard.
    (That has nothing to do with keeping YOUR birds safe and not annoying others.)
    3. You feel that clipping their wings will stop them from wandering.
    (What's to stop them from WALKING off?)
    4. You let them free range but you "don't want them thinking they can go where they please"?

Here's a quickie defination of free range, found by a Google search:

Of, relating to, or produced by animals, especially poultry, that range freely for food, rather than being confined in an enclosure: free-range chickens.

I am not meaning to be rude, but I think you need to re-think the whole issue. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by