I have 4 chickens and one or two is throwing up? any ideas? thanks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick pooper, Oct 11, 2013.

1. chick pooper

chick pooper New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    They r under a year old, I try to keep coop clean. they r laying one egg a day which is what they have been doing and they r eating and drinking.

2. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    have you changed their food lately, cleaned the coop, or made something they could get into? That might be it

3. chick pooper

chick pooper New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    I have a feed I give them and I also give them apples, carrots, lettuce. idk, maybe rotten food? thanks i'll try all the above.

4. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    good luck[​IMG]

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Keep a close eye on them as this could be a sign of a respitory illness. Had this happen to one of my girls. First day she threw up, second day I noticed her raspy breathing. Started her on baytril injectable and lost her that night to aspiration. It was very quick. So watch closely for other signs or anything off about her. Chickens are really good about hiding illness. Just be extra cautious. Hopefully she will be just fine. But listen for signs of respitory problems. If she has them id start on tylan 50 or baytril.

6. chick pooper

chick pooper New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks I'm going out of town overnight, I hope they r good until I get back sat. Night. Where can u get the meds? Thanks

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't treat them with antibiotics until I knew for sure what was wrong with them. Vomiting is a sign of crop problems, especially sour crop. Check their crops first thing in the morning when it should be empty from fasting overnight. If it is full and squishy, it may be sour crop. This may have a bad odor. If hard and round it may be impacted. Click on this link for treatment:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html and

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Also have you seen them throw up or could they be having watery diarrhea? Look them over for symptoms of a respiratory disease--sneeze, nasal drainage, bubbles in the eyes, and facial or eye swelling. That would be a reason to treat with antibiotics perhaps, but if it is sour crop antibiotics would make it worse.

9. chick pooper

chick pooper New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks, by crop u mean feed? Correct? Again thanks

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The crop is the pouch where the food goes before moving on to the gizzard for digestion. It is flat in the morning normally, and becomes full of food during the day when they eat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by