I have 5 bantam hens, looking to add a few ducks, which breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kickinchicken, Sep 29, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hey everyone. I am looking to add a couple of ducks to my flock of chickens. My toddler LOVES to put our poor Sultan hen in the pool (I rescue her every time) and I think she'd love to have some ducks accompany her while she is swimming in her little pool. So, my question is, what breed of duck is tolerant of toddlers and tolerant of chickens? I am looking to add maybe 2 or 3 ducks. I get a kick out of the runners with the wig but how are they with the little ones? Oh, BTW, I am ALWAYS there to supervise so its not like I allow my toddler to hurt the birds. She is so loving and sweet and just wants them to accompany her...I just don't think the chickens want to swim...this is where the ducks come in.

So, how do I house the ducks in the hen house? I know they don't roost, but what alterations do I need to make to the floor-level area to make them happy and safe? Oh and what do they eat?

2. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Wow. Nothing? Really? [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    OK, since no one else chimed in, I'll give you my standard answer when anyone asks what kind of duck to get-Calls.
    I have 7 right now(and am looking to add more) and they are so friendly and curious and SMALL.
    I feed mine a mixture of poultry chops, gamebird food and recleaned oats.
    If you're not showing your ducks, I've read of many people housing them very peacefully with their chickens. Really just a nice spot/box in the coop with hay in it will make them happy-unlike my chickens, my ducks aren't divas and are really very easy to please. [​IMG]

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I like my pekin ducks...They are funny and friendly and very cute as they are tufted and non tufted....

Here's a picture of them:

[​IMG]

As babies out of the incubator! (not quite dried off).....

5. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well, I do adore the Pekin duck and from what I read, the call duck can be loud. So....which one to choose?

How loud are the Call Ducks and how are the Pekin ducks with kids. I want this to be a good mix, for both the ducks and the kid.

6. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    I have runner ducks that live with my chickens just fine. The chickens roost on perches and the ducks sleep on the coop floor. Pretty much all ducks are nervous compared to chickens, so you may not find that they are as cuddly and tolerant of human contact as you want for your toddler. They don't really like to be picked up and held much. Others will probably recount some exceptions, but they are exceptions.

I have read that muscovies are the most friendly tame ducks to have, although I have no experience myself of these. They are also quiet whereas call ducks are extremely loud! You have to put a lot of time and attention in to make ducks tame and friendly, which is something to consider too.

Another thing to think about is whether you want eggs from them. Some breeds lay seasonally, and some like Campbells and Runners lay all year and as much as chickens if not more.

Ducks are also very messy and will turn any grassed or earth area into a filthy mudbath!

But we luvem [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The Call hens CAN be a bit vocal at times-I personally love listening to them "chat". My drakes are really pretty quiet-just a raspy, quacky noise.
    If you're trying to keep ducks on the DL, Call hens are a bad choice, for sure. My neighbor's Rouen hens are actually just as loud as my girls are.
    I've spent a lot of time with my ducks to make them cuddly-but it's been worth it to me-there's nothing softer than a Call duck. [​IMG]
    By the way, bargain, what breed is your oversized duck with the hat on? [​IMG] That's a box full of cute!

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:[​IMG]

HA! Yes, that's a rare one alright!!!!

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd recommend the Calls, but then that's not an objective opinion...[​IMG] They're the only species of poultry I have.

Males are quiet and my experience is that they generally get along well as long as there are no females. My blacks, while wily as babies, have proven to be the easiest to tame by kids.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I love my runners but I think the most lovable are the Muscovys. They're quiet and they come right up to you even if you haven't been hands on with raising them. I really wanted calls but mine all free range and I was afraid they would never get big enough to be safe from hawks. Of course when I had a yard full of half grown chickens and baby ducks the hawk went after a full grown guinea. If you don't mind the red face I would say muscovy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by