I have 5 days till they need to go :(

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Chickadee93, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Well, apparently you can't keep chickens here, and with regret I have to get rid of my 7 (plus 4 youngins), one of which is the nicest roo and falls asleep on your lap if you hold him. All around terrible day, visited in person by a police officer who informed us we have 5 days to get rid of them due to a neighbor complaint...the irritating thing is, my dad asked someone on the town board and they said EVERYTHING is legal here even cows/pigs/horses and now this guy said they've been illegal since the 70's. Can't believe they'll be gone in less than a week [​IMG] Stupid, stupid laws...

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh NO! this is terrible!! so sorry to hear this!

3. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Yea and it's been almost a year too!! You'd think if they were going to complain they would have done so earlier! I think I know who it was too, we have a NASTY neighbor up the hill who I hear swearing at his wife and kid all the time who makes an effort to annoy pretty much everyone in the vicinity.

4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I would suggest actually looking into the ordinances instead of believing one person. I have heard of people being thretened by officials only to find out that it isn't true and they are making laws up.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm so sorry to hear that [​IMG]

6. Eva2012

Eva2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Perris, CA
    Please look into the laws. Maybe a friend can board your chickens until you are able to win your fight

7. alec120psi

alec120psi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Check the law. In our town chicks are ok but Roos are not allowed. Maybe similar where you live. Check with city hall. Sometimes the police are in forcing laws that don't actually exist.

Good luck.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so very sorry! what exactly was the complaint? was it about the rooster and crowing? do you know? maybe you can keep a couple inside as a house chicken? without anyone knowing? I'm so sorry! my heart goes out to you!

9. Flock in SF

Flock in SF Out Of The Brooder

Have you looked at the town laws? Ask around some more? It would be a shame if the officer was just trying to scare you when there is no ordinance against keeping your chickens. Hope all is well. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by