I have 5 hens 2 roosters 3 months old

HoofPrints

Hatching
Aug 11, 2016
One of the roosters is very aggressive now the other very dosile and hangs out with the hens. I will be getting rid of the aggressive one soon. But I'm wondering what will happen to the secondary rooster? Is it just in their nature and he then will become aggressive once the other one is gone?
Unfortunately I will have to pay a Feedstore $15 to get rid of them because on craigslist there are tons of roosters for free that of been on there for months.

welcome-byc.gif
It is hard to say what may happen with the calmer rooster. He may remain docile or he may become more aggressive once the dominant rooster is removed. Good luck for option one.

Thank you. If it's possible for him to stay dosile then I'll let him stay for now. Or should wait then until they are a little more mature 1 more month at 4 months to give him away that way the dosile rooster will be dosile a little longer? Or just give the aggressive one away now?

One of the roosters is very aggressive now the other very dosile and hangs out with the hens. I will be getting rid of the aggressive one soon. But I'm wondering what will happen to the secondary rooster? Is it just in their nature and he then will become aggressive once the other one is gone?
Unfortunately I will have to pay a Feedstore $15 to get rid of them because on craigslist there are tons of roosters for free that of been on there for months.
Boy, that sounds like an interesting racket! Hmmm.....

All these birds are just 4 months old?
Explain how he is being aggressive....to the female birds(pullets at that age) or to humans?
Young cock/erels become sexually mature before the pullets, chicken mating can be vicious especially at this age.
There are many ways to deal with this common situation.... many depend on how much space you have and what your long term goals are.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
I agree. Paying the feed store (from where they most likely came from in the first place, to take back an oops rooster seems like highway robbery. Especially after raising them up to crock pot size.

I bought them from a 4H Kindergarten class at 4 weeks old on June 19th. He stomps his feet a lot and crows loudly all day long. He attacks the other hens but not his brother rooster. He bites them and doesn't let go and hens are screaming it's too much for me. I'm hoping when we get rid of him this secondary brother rooster well stay his docile self.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to pay to get rid of him. I've asked around at feed stores locally what are other options to get rid of roosters besides culling which I'm unable to do. I stumbled across a feed store about 45 mins away that will take him for $15. They are full now but said that I can call them every day and see if a spot opens up. They keep for a while in the store to see if they sell. If they don't they get sent to a big farm

Well it's been a few months since I sadly had to give Carmelo to a feed store. I pray he's not bought for fighting.
My other rooster Rufus is awesome! He doesnt just grab the other chickens heads and hurt them for no reason like Carmelo did. Very rarely stomps his feet. He's not aggressive at all. I hold him everyday and walk around with him. He hears me arriving in my car and he starts crowing and crowing until I come see him. Then as soon as he sees me he runs so fast it's to cute and greats me with a really cute sound. Anytime I'm outside doing basic yard work things he follows me around. He's the best. I love him.

Back
Top Bottom